Samsung 860 EVO (SATA)

Feb 15, 2018
I just bought a new 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD but something feels off. I did a clean install of Windows 10. Programs and Windows starts up fast but whenever i try to transfer files from my external HDD (WD My Passport) to my computer, it shows the speed of 40MB/s. Is that normal?

I've installed Samsung Magician and updated the firmware to the latest version. I've also tested the write speed and the read speed is around 500MB/s. This is my first time using an SSD. Am i missing something?

Solution
Only thing you'd have to configure (if it wasn't already setup this way) is make sure the SSD is using AHCI in bios. And if the Passport is usb3, is it plugged into a usb3 port on the pc? What kind of drive is inside the Passport? Is it a mechanical drive? If so, that's your biggest bottleneck right there.
You are going to be limited by the usb from the passport and by the files them self. It is faster to transfer a single large file instead of lots of little files because of the overhead of negotiating the transfer. The negotiation is done for each file, so transferring a single file it needs to be done once, transferring n files means it needs to be done n times.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
USB2 has a limited transfer rate of 60MB/s. That's theoretical limit, as other things will come into play on top of the hardware, such overhead costs as faalin mentioned. So a transfer rate of 40MB/s over USB is fairly typical. USB3 would be capable of achieving transfer speeds closer to your drive's read limit.

Feb 15, 2018
That's odd, my WD Passport does use a USB3. I'm currently transferring one large file to my computer and it's still reading about 70MB/s (which is the highest speed I've seen). Can anyone tell me what's the generic thing to do after you install an SSD? e.g. configuring the BIOS etc.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Only thing you'd have to configure (if it wasn't already setup this way) is make sure the SSD is using AHCI in bios. And if the Passport is usb3, is it plugged into a usb3 port on the pc? What kind of drive is inside the Passport? Is it a mechanical drive? If so, that's your biggest bottleneck right there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS