Question Samsung 860 EVO showing as Raw after format

Nov 1, 2022
I previously cloned an HDD from an older laptop onto a Samsung EVO 860 SDD which went fine. Recently, I wanted to clone the newer laptop's data onto the Samsung Evo (500GB) and then swap that SDD for the Acer Aspire 5 which came with a 250GB SDD (or install it as addition if my laptop supports it).

When checking the external Samsung drive, I found that about 300GB of data was used up. This was too much and I decided to format the drive completely as it contained mostly older media files that I can do without. After formatting, I assigned the drive a letter using Disc Management on Windows 11, but I noticed its saying RAW file system even though I selected NTFS initially. I tried running chkdsk and also formatting it again but its giving an error. Does this mean there are some corrupt or damaged files on the external drive now? I don't need the data on it but I just want to get it converted if thats necessary.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should reinstall the OS when you're migrating a drive from one platform to the next. If you were only changing the drive on one platform, then cloning the drive is fine. Cloning the drive and then migrating that drive to another can and will lead to anomalies due to differences in drivers.

For the sake of relevance, can you state the make and model of both your laptops?

external Samsung drive
+
Samsung EVO 860 SDD
+
Samsung Evo (500GB)

Please elaborate.

Nov 1, 2022
Thanks for your reply. How would I go about reinstalling the OS? I guess I assumed formatting the drive would've cleared out everything.

My current laptop is an Acer Aspire A515-43-R5RE (Windows 11) and the older laptop is a Toshiba Satellite p755-s5182 (Windows 10).
- Samsung Evo 860 MZ-76E500B/AM

I purchased the Acer a couple years ago and in the last few weeks it's gotten incredibly laggy which is one reason I want to try replacing the current SSD.