[SOLVED] Samsung 860 Evo SSD not performing well?

Jan 6, 2019
I just made a SSD my main/boot drive last night. I didn't feel comfortable doing a fresh install, so I cloned my main drive to it. It seemed to be successful, I checked the disk beforehand and made sure there was enough room and everything. Computer is definitely booting much faster.

However, when I run userbenchmark... it's showing that the ssd is not performing up to par at all. My bench was at 56% whereas the avg is 111% for it.
Sequential read/write speeds came out as: Read 227, Write 182
I did switch to AHCI, TRIM seems to be working, and Samsung Magician shows it's in good condition. Is this acceptable or is there a way I can improve it? Speccy says the SATA type is SATA-III 6.0Gb/s.

Thank you for any advice you can give me. I'd rather not do a fresh install if there are any other options.

Solution
If this is an Intel system there are a few important things to do. Make sure it's connected to the correct SATA port on the motherboard. The MEI and RST drivers MUST be installed for proper performance. After those things are done enable RAPID mode in Samsung Magician. With a 500GB 860 EVO on an older Z87 with RAPID enabled I'm getting 7,011 for read and 6,017 for write.

bobbybluz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If this is an Intel system there are a few important things to do. Make sure it's connected to the correct SATA port on the motherboard. The MEI and RST drivers MUST be installed for proper performance. After those things are done enable RAPID mode in Samsung Magician. With a 500GB 860 EVO on an older Z87 with RAPID enabled I'm getting 7,011 for read and 6,017 for write.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I found RAPID mode to be mostly useless.
Yes, it shows great benchmark numbers. In actual use, I didn't see a whole lot of difference.