[SOLVED] Samsung 860 evo VS samsung 970 evo plus for Windows 10

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I am currently in the process of making a new custom build and right now i have my Windows 10 installed on my Samsung 860 evo ssd and i love how fast and responsive it is compared to when i had it on my HDD.

I'm planning on getting a nvme, the 97p evo plus for a storage drive in my new build. I would really rather not do s fresh install of windows so I'm planning on still using my 860 as my boot drive since it already has windows installed.

So my question is, is the OS way better on a 970 evo plus compared to 860 or would it hardly be noticeable? Like I said, my pc starts up very fast and runs fast as of right now so i can't imagine it being much better. Thanks

Solution
A whole new system needs a fresh install. No matter which drive.

Trying to use the old one results in one of three outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3.

And the 970 will be somewhat faster in day to day operations. Not hugely faster than the 860, but still faster.

USAFRet

Titan

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

I've seen all 3.

And the 970 will be somewhat faster in day to day operations. Not hugely faster than the 860, but still faster.

Solution

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

I've seen all 3.

So if I do a clean windows install on my 860 do I lose everything thats installed on my drive and have to basically start fresh?

USAFRet

Titan
So if I do a clean windows install on my 860 do I lose everything thats installed on my drive and have to basically start fresh?
Correct.
As with any major operation, have a known good backup of any data you cannot bear to lose.
Even with the best of intentions, accidents happen.

But here, you ARE doing a full wipe and reinstall.
And clearing out a few years of accumulated gunk in the process.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Correct.
As with any major operation, have a known good backup of any data you cannot bear to lose.
Even with the best of intentions, accidents happen.

But here, you ARE doing a full wipe and reinstall.
And clearing out a few years of accumulated gunk in the process.

Ok that shouldn't be a problem. All i have on this ssd is Windows, a couple games and some programs like discord and game launchers. All my game captures and other files are on my hard drive.

Can I just connect my hard drive as normal without doing anything special since it doesn't contain my OS?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok that shouldn't be a problem. All i have on this ssd is Windows, a couple games and some programs like discord and game launchers. All my game captures and other files are on my hard drive.

Can I just connect my hard drive as normal without doing anything special since it doesn't contain my OS?
After it is all up and running on the new system, yes.
It will be just another drive letter.

So my question is, is the OS way better on a 970 evo plus compared to 860 or would it hardly be noticeable? Like I said, my pc starts up very fast and runs fast as of right now so i can't imagine it being much better. Thanks
There's almost no practical difference going from a SATA based SSD to an NVMe based ones. The only significant difference is on paper and in benchmarks.

USAFRet

Titan

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
"a new custom build " will absolutely want a valid license key.

Possible you can transfer the license from your old system to the new.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

One more question. I have a HDD as well with some games installed on there as well. All my launchers such as steam and battlenrt are on my ssd but some games are on my hard drive for those respected launchers. Is it best to just uninstall those gsmrs and reinstall when I get the launchers again or would it be fine just to leave them installed.

USAFRet

Titan
Steam games, no problem.

Youll just have to tell the new Steam client where they are on that old drive.

Thusly:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game