[SOLVED] Samsung 860 PRO 1TB vs. 870 EVO 1TB

Witeron

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
I have the option to purchase either one and I was wondering which one is the better option. I’m looking for reliability/ longevity/ durability above speed. I’ve read that the 870 EVO 1TB has 128 layer TLC and the 860 PRO 1TB has 64 layer MLC. I’ve been reading around that MLC is better than TLC, however when comparing the 860 PRO MLC, it was made in 2018 vs. the 870 EVO TLC which is made in 2021. Correct me if I’m wrong but the 860 PRO is the latest MLC SATA SSD by Samsung to this day?

I know both cards are great in performance but I’m mainly looking for longevity and want to go with the one that would last longer. MLC I’ve read would last longer than TLC but again, the MLC in this one is from 2018 vs TLC in 2021.

Also, since the 860 PRO 1TB is from 2018, is the SSD card affected in any way for being on the shelf in a store for that long? Like would I lose out on longevity/ durability since it’s older (even though not used)? Or does longevity/ durability only really begin once you start to use it? Thank you if anyone can help me out with this decision.

Solution
The 860 Pro is a fine SSD, and if both were the same cost, it would/should likely get the nod, particularly for systems used for business use . (The Pro's warranty is typically 5 years, and TBW ratings are quite high on most Pro models, although most users have only written 35 TB after even 4 years anyway, so worrying about 150 TBW vs. 300 TBW vs. 600 TBW ratings is of little consequence for most folks.)

As the 860 and 870 variants are SATA anyway, I often look at the Crucial MX500 when/if available as a lower priced yet still high performing alternative anyway, and look at the 970 EVO/980 EVO for NVME drives for the OS and apps.
I have the option to purchase either one and I was wondering which one is the better option. I’m looking for reliability/ longevity/ durability above speed. I’ve read that the 870 EVO 1TB has 128 layer TLC and the 860 PRO 1TB has 64 layer MLC. I’ve been reading around that MLC is better than TLC, however when comparing the 860 PRO MLC, it was made in 2018 vs. the 870 EVO TLC which is made in 2021. Correct me if I’m wrong but the 860 PRO is the latest MLC SATA SSD by Samsung to this day?

I know both cards are great in performance but I’m mainly looking for longevity and want to go with the one that would last longer. MLC I’ve read would last longer than TLC but again, the MLC in this one is from 2018 vs TLC in 2021.

Also, since the 860 PRO 1TB is from 2018, is the SSD card affected in any way for being on the shelf in a store for that long? Like would I lose out on longevity/ durability since it’s older (even though not used)? Or does longevity/ durability only really begin once you start to use it? Thank you if anyone can help me out with this decision.
Get which ever one is cheaper.
I doubt you will ever wear it out.
Ask samsung when the warranty starts.

Reactions: HappyTrails
The 860 Pro is a fine SSD, and if both were the same cost, it would/should likely get the nod, particularly for systems used for business use . (The Pro's warranty is typically 5 years, and TBW ratings are quite high on most Pro models, although most users have only written 35 TB after even 4 years anyway, so worrying about 150 TBW vs. 300 TBW vs. 600 TBW ratings is of little consequence for most folks.)

As the 860 and 870 variants are SATA anyway, I often look at the Crucial MX500 when/if available as a lower priced yet still high performing alternative anyway, and look at the 970 EVO/980 EVO for NVME drives for the OS and apps.

Solution