News Samsung 860 Pro SSD Drops to New Low at Amazon

cyrusfox

Distinguished
860 pro is still over priced compared to its competitition even if it is still the clear winner in speed and endurance.

I fully agree that the 860 PRO is the highest performing SATA SSD drive out on the market (Random read/write) and at 1200 R/W cycles, it is rather robust and will outsurive the system that is using it. But I would contend that for the vast majority of consumerers, any budget option with DRAM cache, such as S31, would be a better buy. Those savings could be put into a higher capacity drive or that money could be saved for other purposes. It's rare one owuld choose SATA ssd anymore on a new system (M.2 taking over the market) unless we are talking about platform upgrade, so this is a space that is dwindling. Regardless the perceptive improvement between these class of SATA drives (DRAM cached TLC drives) vs the 860 pro isn't worth the 35% mark up. Even DRAM-less drives are starting to catch up as well as inventive caching schemes with QLC. unfortunately SATA is not seeing too much ofthat innovation due to that locked 6Gbps SATA III bus(No 870/980 pro for sata, samsung only releasing new QVO drives).

Reactions: Makaveli

Alex Vojacek

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I will pick a true MLC drive over any QLC drive any day. I'm so sick of caching techniques. I prefer spending more money on memory and doing caching myself and then knowing exactly the speed the drive will have instead of the drive throttling whenever the cache is filled.