Question Samsung 870 Evo or Western Digital Blue SSD 1TB for boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Hopefully after this I can finalize my build but I got to thinking a bit more on the boot drive for the system. Originally the drives were a Western Digital SN850 w/ Heatsink and a Samsung 870 EVO 4TB. I thought about going with the 870 EVO 1TB as the boot drive instead of the SN850. However, after reading around I am a bit concerned with using the EVOs at all due to the cache issue lowering the writing speeds.

Now I'm considering a Western Digital Blue SSD 1TB for the boot drive and picking up the same one in 4TB.

Does anyone know if those Western Digitals have the same issues? I've been looking around and can't find anything but maybe I'm just not finding it either. Would I honestly be better off getting the 870 Evo 1TB/4TBs over the western digitals? I know the QVO line has that issue and the 250/512 Evos have it as well, unsure if the 1TB and 4TB have it as well.

(Also, please do not suggest 2 2TB drives for storage, I'm not interested in having 3 SSDs currently and it wouldn't overly save me any money either, in some cases it does not at all.)

Edit: Also, another question I just thought of, would those caching issues I'm seeing affect a PC that is shut off at least daily? Sometimes not but most of the time, I do shut things down unless I am downloading a game or update.

Last edited:

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Either drive will probably serve your needs.

I have a 970 Evo in my PC as a boot drive, and it works like a dream.

I haven't heard any issues with evo's and their cache though.

I found that from a video on YT where the boost writing would drop from 500+ to 300. That's why I wanted to ask.

Also, I have a 970 Pro for my drive in this PC. The ones I listed were 2.5 ssds, the 970s are NVMEs.

Do not chase synthetic benchmark stats.
ANY ssd will be hard to distinguish from any other from a performance point of view.
These experts could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

From a reliability point of view, Puget systems thinks highly of the Samsung ssd's:

Reactions: CompuGuy71

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Do not chase synthetic benchmark stats.
ANY ssd will be hard to distinguish from any other from a performance point of view.
These experts could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

From a reliability point of view, Puget systems thinks highly of the Samsung ssd's:

You've sent me that link before from Linus and watched it already, the problem is I've seen where Evos are failing out of the blue. The writing speed getting dropped from cache getting filled up is another issue as well. I'm wanting to avoid these or know if restarting/shutting off my PC will negate those issues. Why pay for something when I wont be able to actually use what it's stated to do? That is why I'm asking if Western Digital has that same problem and will go from there. I sadly cannot repurchase my 970 Pro because the price is to high. Only way I'd potentially fit that into the budget would be going air cooling on my PC, which I am hesitant to do still.

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
I would avoid the 870. It's a far cry from Samsung's previous models and has been reported to have absurdly high failure rates. I went through 2 870s in the span of 12 months, both died the exact same way. Google "870 failure" and there's a slew of people reporting the same thing.

The 256gig 870 may be the only stable model out of them all. I've been using a 256gig as my boot drive for a little over a year and have had no issues. If you really need an 870 then the 256gig is the safest choice. 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb should be avoided.

I would avoid the 870. It's a far cry from Samsung's previous models and has been reported to have absurdly high failure rates. I went through 2 870s in the span of 12 months, both died the exact same way. Google "870 failure" and there's a slew of people reporting the same thing.

The 256gig 870 may be the only stable model out of them all. I've been using a 256gig as my boot drive for a little over a year and have had no issues. If you really need an 870 then the 256gig is the safest choice. 500gig, 1tb, 2tb and 4tb should be avoided.

I actually have heard of 870 issues. It's been a while as I don't focus on SATA drives as much these days. You're right, there were many reports, although fundamentally it's hard to mess up the super-mature controller (MKX is an iteration of tech going way back) and decent flash (128L has been fine on other drives). However, Samsung had firmware issue also in the 980 PRO. Not sure on this one. The 870 EVO has not been as successful as Samsung would have liked.

Of course, I love WD and have SATA Blues myself, so more power to that. The static SLC design is good, the 88SS1074 is robust, it's likely been upgraded in flash at this point. I have heard Best Buy models may not be as solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.