Samsung 932B & 931BW. Difference? 2ms(GTG)=Xms(BTB)...X=????

mandarhaval

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Samsung 932B has response time of 5ms and 931BW has response time of 2ms(gtg).

So is there much difference between the response times of these lcd monitors for playing games? I have learnt that 2ms(gtg)=5ms(btb). Is this equation right??

Help me. :?:

I have learnt that 2ms(gtg)=5ms(btb). Is this equation right??

I really doubt that. There is no industry standard for measuring GTG or BTB response times. Always take those number with a grain of salt. Those numbers represent the most optimistic ideal conditions.

At best I would say 2ms GTG = 10ms BTB. Hell, even some 2ms GTG response time LCDs will be as slow as 10ms GTG in real life.

Sorry, I wanted to decide between 932B[5ms] and 931BW[2ms GTG](not 931SW).

The 932B is a standard 4:3 monitor. The 931BW is a widescreen monitor. Both are 19" inches. While the 931BW is wider, it is also shorter. Some people seems to forget that point. Remember from one corner to diagonally opposite corner both are still 19".

What's BTB???

BTB = Black to Black.

The old standard of measuring response times. The pixel starts off as black, then switches to bright white, and then has to switch back to black. That takes much longer than GTG which simply measures the time to switch from one color to the next. It's just a marketing ploy.

For example, Samsung markets the same 22" LCD monitor as the 22BTB and 22GTG. The 22BTB lists a BTB response time of 12ms. The 22GTG list a GTG response time of 2ms. Which one would you prefer to buy?

Remember, they are the exact same monitor, just two different names.

mandarhaval

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I think i will go with Samsung 932B, i dont want widescreen bcoz its height is too short, almost same as a 17" monitor.
But it has a repsonse time of 5ms, is it enough for gaming or i will still see ghosting???

Has anyone used a 5ms LCD for gaming, whats your experience? Many ppl say even 8ms is good for gaming but i think 5ms still gives ghosting effect.

And also 932B has 16.2million colors while 931BW can display 16.7million colors. Does that matter very much?? I do not use my PC for 2d/3d designing or something like that.

Ghosting depends on how your brain processes the images that your eyes transmit to it. Some may see ghosting on a 5ms LCD others may not. The only way to know for sure is to see it. Generally speaking though 6ms or lower should be "good enough."
Both monitors uses a 6-bit panel and not a single one can produce 16.7 million colors. Again, it is a marketing ploy to trick people into thinking that a 6-bit panel is the same as an 8-bit panel. In fact, a 6-bit panel really produces way, way, way lower than 16.2 million colors.

Hopefully you know how exponents work in math and a tad bit of binary. Binary is easy, 0 or 1 (on / off). The "bits" represent how many registers are used to represent a color that is expressed exponentially. A 6-bit monitor can create 2^6 shades of color for 3 different colors; Blue, Green, Red.

2^6 or 2x2x2x2x2x2 = 64. Therefore, a 6-bit panel produces 64 shades of each color. That means 64^3 or 64x64x64 colors can be created. That only works out to 274,625 different colors. So how does the monitor create 16.2 million colors from only 274,625 colors? Easy. It's called dithering which is basically blending of some colors to imitate one of the 16 million other colors that it cannot accurately create. Read this as bad if you are a graphic artist who's job is dependent on producing precise colors for images.

8-bit monitors really can produce 16.7 million colors. Do the math. 8-bit monitors are more expensive and have slower response time. But they can beat a 6-bit monitor in everything else.

Overdrive technology definitely does play a factor when it comes to color accuracy and image artifacts due to the nature of the technology.

For the uninitiated, overdrive is used in most LCD monitors whether they are 6-bit or 8-bit LCDs. This is achieved by "over-volting" the pixels, which causes them to change colors more rapidly. The downside to overdrive is that it can cause color inaccuracies and image artifacts because the extra voltage will cause colors to be brighter than they should be. Over drive is the reason why 6-bit monitors can "achieve" 2ms response times. The same thing goes for 8-bit monitors that can "achieve" 6ms response times.

For example, during a game or video playback, a color may change from black to dark blue which would be the true color that should be displayed. Using overdrive you may get medium blue instead, and it will "faded" to dark blue. That is unless the pixel needs to change colors again before the correct shade of blue can be displayed.

Some monitors may allow you to turn overdrive on and off via the menu. But I think for most monitors, it is always on. "Overdrive" is a generic term, different brands have different names for it.

Planar = Rapid Video
Samsung = Rapid Time Acceleration (RTA)
BenQ = Advanced Motion Acceleration (AMA or the newer AMA-Z)