Samsung 950 Pro - disappears after adding other drives

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have a 950 pro nvme m.2 drive in the PCI Express slot. It holds Win10x64.

I install windows, add my 4 Sandisk Extreme Pro (software RAID) and all is well. Samsung Magician still picks it up and shows it there with the driver, etc.

However, once I add my LSI and Marvel add-on cards and the 30 drives attached to them, it suddenly disappears.

I can still boot to Windows but Samsung Magician shows it's not there. The bios shows that it is as does device manager.

Any ideas?

iamacow

Admirable
What Chipset are you using? Sounds to me like you ran out of PCIE lanes and the M.2 Slot got turned off once you went SLI and added other PCIE cards. Pretty much only the X79/X99 can handle that many PCIE devices used at a once.

But without knowing you PC specs I'm just guessing.

thepregnantgod

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
That makes sense as I do have 2 GTX TitanX in SLI. I'm using an X99 Asrock board with 40 PCI-e lanes.

What's confusing though is that the drive still shows up - still boots just fine, but Samsung Magician just doesn't read it as the nvme drive.

iamacow

Admirable
If you are using a X99 I don't think the lack of lanes is the problem than. I'm not sure what the Samsung software is all about. You 100% have enough lanes to run everything without an issue.

I know Windows 10 does not like it when you turn off Secure boot. Maybe the LSI cards had the bios go into legacy mode also? Check the bios for UFI and Secure boot and see if the UFI is set to legacy boot.