Samsung 950 Pro NVMe Driver and Magician software Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bandit385

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I recently updated the Samsung Magician software and now when I open the program, I get a message that the drive is not supported. I also observed that now the driver for the drive doesn't appear to be up to date. I tried reinstalling the driver, but get the message:

Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.

I tried both the previously installed driver version as well as the current, but it will not install due to the message above. Also, the previous Magician software as well as the current version both give the message the drive is not supported.

When I installed the drive, driver, and Magician software in July 2016, all installed and run correctly, no problem.

System information:

Windows 10
C drive: SSD Samsung 950 Pro UEFI/GPT /NTFS

I also added a D drive in Raid configuration a few weeks ago: Western Digital 2TB , but I don't think that would affect being able to install the driver or recognize the NVMe drive.

Any suggestions why the NVMe Driver and Magician software will not properly install or how I can go back to a restore point to just before I installed the Magician update?

Solution
I tried the solution discussed below and it appears to be working. I'm able to run Magician and have verified the Samsung controller/driver is installed along with the Intel RST controller/driver for my RAID1 drive. Also, verified the Samsung driver installer runs without the previous error message. The NVME PCI-e drive also does not appear in the available options for the RAID array and under the UEFI BIOS menu or from within Windows using the Intel RST program.

Others may find this helpful when changing from AHCI mode to RAID mode using a UEFI RAID configuration.

1) change to boot mode to SAFE in MSconfig, Restart, and enter BIOS

2) ensure settings are set to Disable CSM, RST RAID, save, exit, and continue bootup in SAFE mode...