Question Samsung 950 Pro only boots from Windows Boot Manager properly (as if normal)

voltaero

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have been using my current setup:

Intel i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
16GB Gskill RAM @ 2133MHz
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 (MS7977) mobo
Samsung 950 Pro m.2 ssd (256GB)
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
msi GTX 1070

for about 3-4 months now. I had some issues installing windows 10 initially onto my m.2, but got it work. It has been flawlessly working with my additional 1TB WD caviar blue HDD since then.

Problem

I dragged my computer across the room, and I can boot from Windows Boot Manager, no issues. I cannot boot Windows 10, however, when I select "N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256GB" selected in the boot menu. When I do, all I get is: Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert boot media..

What I have tried:

-Switching the ssd between the m.2 sata ports
-Unplugging and plugging the ssd back into the slot
-Reset this PC, which solved my initial problem
-Doing all of this with the HDD SATA cable unplugged

I just recently updated the NVMe drivers from the samsung website, and when I'm in the boot manager windows (which appears as if I booted from the ssd normally), and I run Samsung magician, everything seems to be in place.

Really confused about this, anyone have any ideas?

voltaero

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Welp, I finally figured it out! I'll post this in case anyone else has this issue for whatever reason.

FIX: I simply switched the boot order in my BIOS to boot from the UEFI configured Hard disk, instead of the Hard disk itself, which is the only one labeled as the 950 pro for some reason..

Hope this helps someone out there - peace <3

TRENDING THREADS