[SOLVED] Samsung 950 PRO + Resizable Bar causing ocassional BSODs

Logick

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Ok first my setup:
CPU: i9-9900k
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master (updated to latest bios)
RAM: 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX c15 clocked to 2666mhz
GPU: MSI Gaming X RTX 3090 (updated to latest bios)
Boot Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 512gb NVMe (updated to latest bios)

When I first built this PC I noticed the Samsung would not be noticed in the MOBO bios, but it would boot anyway, I would get the following BSOD(pictured below) from time to time:

The application or operating system cannot be loaded because the required file is missing or contains errors
file: \windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000225

zdhTU3U.png

When this happened, I could restart my PC or go into bios and quit without saving and it would boot up normally afterward. I solved this issue permanently when I enabled CSM and enabled legacy boot mode.

When I got my RTX 3090, I decided to enable resizable bar. To do this required me to disable CSM. (see this link https://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/785/NVIDIA_resizable_bar.html)

I now get the BSOD again, trying to enable CSM will prevent me from seeing anything on the screen (thank god my MOBO has an HDMI port), one time last week it got so bad I had to reformat the drive, and it still happens.

Anyone had this experience? Is there anyway to fix it? I'm trying not to purchase another boot drive but I fear I may have to :(

Thank you

Solution
Well I kinda solved it. Since I couldn't legacy mode since I wanted to use resizable bar also, I simply purchased a new SSD. For the record the Samsung 970 Evo Plus works great with the MOBO. Using Samsung Data Migration tool to move data was a snap.
Does your mainboard have two M.2 NVME slots? If so, try moving it to the other one...(make sure NVME enabled /X4 lanes to both slots if possible) Or, reseat the 950, check for it's security in slot?...

It would seem odd that a Z390 could have any basic compatibility issues with a 950 Pro after this many years...
(EDIT- you are not the only one with 950 Pro issues on that mainboard!)
https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/9551/solved-z390-recognizing-m2nvme-ssd

(Someone in the above forum posted: '
After a while started tinkering with the bios settings and voila, this did the trick:
Set the Storage Boot Option Control = Legacy (default is UEFI). '

If ever pondering WIn11, you could simply start over now, default your BIOS, enabling Secure Boot/UEFI install, (might as well enable TPM 2.0 (even if no hardware TPM module, which will allow CPU to perform those functions)and fresh format/reinstall, perhaps in the 2nd slot initially, even if a slight peak performance hit due to possibly going thru chipset to get to 2nd NVME slot. As the first NVME PCI-e x4 slot is tied essentially straight to the CPU, perhaps a CPU reseat might get a better connection.

Anyone else have a computer willing for you to functionally check your 950 Pro? (Is your 950 Pro out of warranty?)

Logick

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
(Someone in the above forum posted: '
After a while started tinkering with the bios settings and voila, this did the trick:
Set the Storage Boot Option Control = Legacy (default is UEFI). '

The thing is in in order to set it I would need to disable CSM thus I cannot use resizable bar on my 3090. I'm fearing my best bet is to get a new SSD :(

Logick

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Well I kinda solved it. Since I couldn't legacy mode since I wanted to use resizable bar also, I simply purchased a new SSD. For the record the Samsung 970 Evo Plus works great with the MOBO. Using Samsung Data Migration tool to move data was a snap.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS