Samsung 950 Pro SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you need to had a standard hdd to some of these, such as the gaming benchmark, as i want to say most of us dont have money for a ssd game drive, but a 4tb drive that can almost hold every game you own if you install everything, that's more readily available, apposed to the same price for 1/8th the space.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I always wondered why was M.2 designed to lay flat on the motherboard and not sideways like RAM. Wouldn't you save a lot more space on the mobo, plus if it is sideways you can easily find a spot for it on MITX boards.

Also, if i have a modern motherboard (i have MSI Gaming 5, Z97) do i need to go into the BIOS and change something if i want to install this M.2 NVMe SSD.

I know you had to do something on older mobos when installing an SSD.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
you need to had a standard hdd to some of these, such as the gaming benchmark, as i want to say most of us dont have money for a ssd game drive, but a 4tb drive that can almost hold every game you own if you install everything, that's more readily available, apposed to the same price for 1/8th the space.

I game a lot and i have 850 Pro in 256 GB capacity. You don't really need that much space for games if you keep only 2-3 games installed at once. I play one game at a time, when i finish i just uninstall it. What's the point of saving it on PC if i will not play it again ever or at least for a while.

jtown80

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
alidan... no one wants reviews of standard Hard drives. Your behind the times if your still focusing on them and it is pointless to do benchmarks on them.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Hard drive performance barely even show up on the results when we show throughput performance. The reverse happens in the latency tests, the HDD lines are so long you can hardly see the NVMe performance.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Very cool, I was/am excited for this. However the real world bencmarks say it all. Best case scenario 12 seconds on a 6 minute job is not much and many of those tests were showing half a second difference in performance. Nowhere near good enough for me. Still a nice step but I'll wait for cheaper m2 drives.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I always wondered why was M.2 designed to lay flat on the motherboard and not sideways like RAM. Wouldn't you save a lot more space on the mobo, plus if it is sideways you can easily find a spot for it on MITX boards.

Because this allows M.2 to easily fit in laptops.

Also, if i have a modern motherboard (i have MSI Gaming 5, Z97) do i need to go into the BIOS and change something if i want to install this M.2 NVMe SSD.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Was there any mention about availability as in when this item will be released?

Newegg has them in the US already and Scan in the UK. I haven't checked Amazon, Tiger Direct or others but if they don't already show them they will by the end of the week most likely.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

I game a lot and i have 850 Pro in 256 GB capacity. You don't really need that much space for games if you keep only 2-3 games installed at once. I play one game at a time, when i finish i just uninstall it. What's the point of saving it on PC if i will not play it again ever or at least for a while.

Very true but still, I miss the days when I would launch my steam account and have every game I own installed and ready to be played. :(

Friends come over see a game they want to play, I would say sure. Now I have am like... I have it but we have to wait for the install, patches, setting, etc....

Tends to kill the excitement quick.

My two cents.

TheGeeked

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Since the Z170 "Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7" & "MSI Z170A GAMING M7" motherboards has two M.2 slots and supports raid modes, could you guys get one of said boards and two Samsung M951 NVME M.2 SSD's and two Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2 SSD's to put them in raid 0 for comparison benchmark speed tests?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Not all motherboards will run this at tested speed unless you have a M.2 slot that uses x4 lanes. Many M.2 slots such as the one on my Gigabyte x99 motherboard only have x2 lanes which if it runs will only run at half the speed. If you want to mount this vertically then buy a Lycom M.2 PCIe adapter board ~$30 for using in your PCIe slot. The slots for these were made horizontal as they were designed for laptops initially and also don't want to interfere with the PCIe slots used for video cards on desktops. I get full advertised speeds from my Kingston Predator in the Lycom in one of my PCIe slots. Also beware that your computer setup may not have enough free PCIe lanes and you may end up reducing the number available for your video cards. With my 5820K my M.2 in my PCIe slot takes 4 leaving 24 still available for my 980s in sli.

oskerw

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014

Laptops and tablets are why it's designed to lay flat. Yeah with SSDs you had to change to AHCI, not sure about M.2 storage.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Since the Z170 "Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7" & "MSI Z170A GAMING M7" motherboards has two M.2 slots and supports raid modes, could you guys get one of said boards and two Samsung M951 NVME M.2 SSD's and two Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2 SSD's to put them in raid 0 for comparison benchmark speed tests?

I just finished testing a pair of SM951-NVMe drives in RAID0. I'll have an SM951-NVMe 512GB and RAID0 performance comparison coming out soon. RamCity has the SM951-NVMe drives.

I won't have a GBT or MSI board to test the array on. I'll stick with the ASRock board for now.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
Because this allows M.2 to easily fit in laptops.
Laptops and tablets are why it's designed to lay flat. Yeah with SSDs you had to change to AHCI, not sure about M.2 storage.

It also bugs me.

Memory modules are vertical on desktop motherboards, and horizontal on laptops.

I see no reason for wasting all that space on a desktop motherboard.

I hope Tomshardware personnel ask to the likes of Asus and Gigabyte to include more M2 slots, and pack them vertically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS