Samsung 960 EVO, 960 Pro NVMe SSDs: The Writing Is Literally On The Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I look at these M.2 NVMe SSDs and all I can think of is FINALLY!! They finally figured out how to put the sticker on the right way so when customers install it directly on a motherboard the logo is not backwards or upside-down.

spoidz

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Is there any kind of storage bay device that uses M.2 devices? Could they build a mini device using them?

Not debating whether they would be cost effective or practical, just wondering if this exists.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

YES! I think SSD manufacturers were like "we like it this way" and motherboard manufacturers were like "we like it that way", seems like one side finally won the battle.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

do you mean those adapters to U.2? I only know Intel (750 Series) SSDs that use that, some new motherboards have the connection onboard (no adapter required).

spoidz

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

No I mean a separate container with M.2 slots that would allow for a very small footprint.

Thinking M.2 DAS or NAS

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Im not sure the question you are asking but there are M.2 to SATA adapters. The adapters are convenient when a laptop dies and you need to transfer the data off.

He is asking if there is a enclosure that supports only M.2 SSD. Like a NAS/SAN designed for these small footprint devices.

I've seen them in the server environment before but I am not aware of any that have made it to the consumer market yet.

InvalidError

Titan

Connector to the right seems like the only logical orientation to me: on a typical motherboard, the chipset which provides the PCIe lanes for the M.2 slot lives in the bottom-right corner of the motherboard and it makes more sense for motherboard manufacturers to put their M.2 connectors there to reduce trace length.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Oh, I found this one QNAP TBS-453A NAS with 4x M.2 Drives but I don't know if that's exactly what you are reffering to.

Palorim12

Distinguished

They don't work where? If you're refering to the the 950 Pro, it is fast enough to not need RAPID mode and Performance Optimization (Manual Trim) is unnecessary in Window 7 and higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.