Samsung 960 EVO not performing

nswerhun

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
So I just got a 500gb Samsung 960 EVO NVMe ssd, and it performs exactly the same, or worse in some areas, as my regular SATA sdd. Boot time is especially slow, for some reason.

I've searched all over for answers. I've downloaded the Samsung NVMe drivers, they had no effect. I'm using the drive as my boot drive, and performed a clean install of Windows 10 when I got it. Overall, I've found no real solutions.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
how is 15 to 20 seconds painfully slow? it could just be that with the new install of windows you have updated it so it loads more stuff.. and previously on the standard SSD it was not updated so less stuff loaded at start? OR why not just go back to the SSD if its that big of a deal and use the NVMe drive as a secondary drive and like put your games and stuff on that instead?

OH more then likely the extra few seconds of boot time if you are referencing to when you push the power to when windows starts loading / completes it is because you have more then 1 drive set to load.. IF you want to speed past bios startup a little quicker make sure ONLY the new nvme drive is set to load.. so like disable CD, and other drives from the boot...
For booting and loading you want to look at the read IOPS at a queue depth of 1.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-850-ssd,5322-2.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-4.html

Samsung 850 = 10572 Random Read at QD1
Samsung 960 Evo = 15782 Random Read at QD1

Meaning you should be seeing at least a 50% increase in speed/responsiveness as a worst case scenario.

As the above post says run the crystalmark benchmarks and see how your drive measures up.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would ask how did you test? like moving a file from the old drive to the new one? like if you did that it would be the same speed as your old one.. for the boot time it should be DARN fast unless you have something loading that is slow? did you clean install.. etc.. I have many of the nvme drives on different PCs and they are all FAST.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would check what you have starting as it sounds more likely you have too much stuff starting and causing extra load time.. OR I have not seen or I am blind.. what CPU and ram do you have.. and for the ram how many sticks 1 or more?

nswerhun

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

All I have running on startup is my sound card driver, and f.lux.
Here is my entire parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ8ndX

nswerhun

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

I did a clean install of Windows 10 when I got the drive. I have no idea what Windows Fast Boot is, however my mobo has a fast boot option, but it makes no difference.

Boot time with the NVMe is about 20 secs, while boot time with my ssd was about 15.

nswerhun

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018

Windows Fast Boot is enabled.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
how is 15 to 20 seconds painfully slow? it could just be that with the new install of windows you have updated it so it loads more stuff.. and previously on the standard SSD it was not updated so less stuff loaded at start? OR why not just go back to the SSD if its that big of a deal and use the NVMe drive as a secondary drive and like put your games and stuff on that instead?

OH more then likely the extra few seconds of boot time if you are referencing to when you push the power to when windows starts loading / completes it is because you have more then 1 drive set to load.. IF you want to speed past bios startup a little quicker make sure ONLY the new nvme drive is set to load.. so like disable CD, and other drives from the boot options.. so it will not check them as well. it does make a few second difference.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@Doctor Rob simply going back to using the SATA SSD as the boot drive is not a solution, it's just ignoring the problem. An NVMe drive should be faster or at least as fast as a SATA SSD. I don't think the exact version of Win 10 would make a significant difference.

I had assumed the OP would have set the NVMe to the top of the boot priority list, but yeah if it isn't it might help to make it so. If you open up task manager and go to the Startup time, you can see the last BIOS time. You could potentially compare that time between the SATA and NVMe SSDs to see if one is slower (they should be more or less the same I'd think).