[SOLVED] Samsung 960 EVO NVMe ssd not being recognised as NVME in bios and doesn't work unless configured as RST

May 8, 2020
Hello,

So essentially, I've had the SSD for quite a while now and haven't noticed any problems until I tried to fix my intel optane 16gb module. So my optane module broke a while ago and I hadn't been bothered to fix it until recently. This led me into my bios to attempt to get it working, where I found that my SSD was set on RST controlled mode. I obviously disabled this because it's not an optane module and after trying to boot I get a blue screen: "Boot device not accessible".

I double-checked everything I did in the bios and narrowed it down to one thing. If I change RST controlled to AHCI in my bios, my SSD becomes unrecognisable, even though it's not an optane module. I ended up looking through the bios for hours and I noticed the drive wasn't recognised as an NVMe drive unless set to AHCI which breaks it. I've tried countless things to get it to work but for some reason, my SSD needs to be RST controlled. The SSD shows up in diskpart, task manager etc, but is not recognised by NVMe drivers. When I open Samsung magician, the drive shows an error: "cannot verify drive information due to system compatibility issues". I believe it is acting like a regular SSD? I benchmarked the drive and it is 500mb/s slower on both read and write than what is should be and I believe my SSD may be the reason my optane module doesn't work

I removed the optane module because it never worked anyway and still, nothing. I don't know if I was meant to install the drivers before I started using the SSD or set it up in a different way but any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
If your install was done in some sort of mainboard controlled RAID via RST mode for whatever reason, well, to quote John J. Rambo..."You don't just turn it off.....!!!"

To proceed in normal AHCI/non-RST controlled, you will likely end up flattening your current install, as RST might have made it 'one-way or the highway'
If your install was done in some sort of mainboard controlled RAID via RST mode for whatever reason, well, to quote John J. Rambo..."You don't just turn it off.....!!!"

To proceed in normal AHCI/non-RST controlled, you will likely end up flattening your current install, as RST might have made it 'one-way or the highway'

Solution
May 8, 2020

So I'd have to format and fresh install and all that?