Samsung 960 EVO Preview With PM961

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_446

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
I actually own both the SM961, 1TB srive and a PM961, 1TB drive. A friend of mine has access to them, he isn't an enthusiast but i am. I paid $580 and $490 respectively. A little expensive but I got them before most. I am running with the Samsung driver force installed and I have to admit, they BOTH fly. The temps rise only when running benchmarks, which I only ran once. My games take les than 10 seconds to load, FAST. File transfers ZIP!!! I did start out with the Windows driver but switched very soon after as my write speeds were very slow.

So this is for a Product that has not come out and may come out this month or next month and doesn't exist right now. So you are using a existing OEM model and testing it and thinking it is close to what we should expect for the 960 Evo? I think it must be really slow there if you are doing these pseudo test in articles for a not released products. Seems like something I wouldn't expect from a Tom's.

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
It would be nice to add SATA SSDs to this kind of comparison. For most of the readers, I believe, it would be useful to decide if it is worth the move away from SATA — which most of us are using anyway.

David_446

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Well, I own both drives and appreciate the information. I acknowledge the article was in speculation of what to expect from a potential product. Much the same way the SM951 was for the 950pro. Both excellent performers. I was considering selling one of my drives to a friend, but after reading this, I think the prices I paid was reasonable for a component that is so hard to find and performs exceptionally well. If this is an indication of what you do in your "slow period" I for one am grateful. Any information is useful if you know how to use it. Thank you

tripleX

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Most people probably don't recognize what investigative journalism is because it is so rare in the age of the Internets. The Samsung OEM SSDs have been the same as the retail SSDs for several generations now, so it isn't exactly rocket science to know this is the next one to come out.

Good show, Toms.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015

With low-cost NVMe we will mix some SATA in the charts but for this review we wanted to go all NVMe. It's the lead for this category and shows where the new NVMe stands in relation to existing NVMe.

Game256

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
It's pretty strange that OEM-parts are selling all over the Europe but not presented at the biggest consumer market which is USA.

As for comparison of OEM and retail versions - yes, basically they're very close but I wouldnt' say they're the same. For example, Samsung SM951 256 Gb is significantly better than it's retail version Samsung 950 Pro 256 Gb.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Chris,why do you think Sammy goes with such a small SLC buffer?

Regularly read how Sammy is so far ahead of I/M,yet best I can
tell Sammy 3D is on 40nm and I/M is on 20nm-We know the downsides
that a smaller process brings,but the die to wafer benefits are huge...........

jt_AJ1

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
@LITTLELEO

wow seriously? do you honestly think these OEM drives are so far apart from retail product when they come out? makes me laugh when I see people think of ES are a lot worse than actual QS CPU chips.

PM961 is as good as it gets, fanboi

as always, great review!

Actually I sell the OEM versions too, and in some cases the performance and the Warranty is the same. What I'm saying is the article was a Samsung 960 EVO preview, but it was actually about the PM961. So just eval it as the PM961 with the info you expect the 960 EVO to have similar specs if you want to. I just feel this is a bit of a bait and switch article. I agree the specs are similar but, why not wait and eval the actual 960 EVO when released since it isn't that far to go. Most likely you will review it anyway, so this article will be rehashed.

It's like going to see a new model car in a showroom and the guy tells you that model isn't in yet but this other model is so close to it and we can add the same features so it will be the same, right? It is a little bit of a let down.

jt_AJ1

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

no brother, if performance in OEM version that comes in laptop are different likely there are some restriction placed. I guess you didn't read chris's review when he first did a pcie m.2 drive a yr or 2 ago so you wouldn't know.

Your argument just furthers my point why bother to evaluate a product that has not been released using an OEM version which JT has pointed out OEMs are very different?

Actually in my experience dealing with SSD there have been some OEM models close in performance and warranty to the retail version. There are also many that are not since they are tuned differently or have to make a price point so perhaps the grade A units are not used but lesser quality units from the run. There are a few variables that come into play.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I already addressed this issues. There are other low-cost NVMe products coming to market. You guys already know about the Intel 600p and the Patriot Hellfire but there are more that I can't mention yet.

ciacco85

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Why don't you test the performance of build for the developer? I don't know, I've red that building Chrominum Project is a really long operation and it would be interesting to benchmark this kinf of situation, expecially between SATA and NVMe drive

brunoland

Reputable
May 18, 2015
David_446 Sep 12, 2016, 11:44 AM

I actually own both the SM961, 1TB srive and a PM961, 1TB drive. A friend of mine has access to them, he isn't an enthusiast but i am. I paid $580 and $490 respectively. A little expensive but I got them before most. I am running with the Samsung driver force installed and I have to admit, they BOTH fly. The temps rise only when running benchmarks, which I only ran once. My games take les than 10 seconds to load, FAST. File transfers ZIP!!! I did start out with the Windows driver but switched very soon after as my write speeds were very slow.

1.) So you are saying that sammy driver works on these two?
2.) Are there be any diffrent drivers with 960 serie?
3.) Can you use Magician Software (most probably not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.