[SOLVED] Samsung 960 EVO: Upgrading from Microsoft to Samsung NVMe driver slowed performance

Microsoft driver (installed by Windows 10 pro installation)

Seq Read: 2600+ MB/s
Seq Write: 1800+ MB/s

Samsung driver (Installed by myself from Samsung website 10 minutes ago)

Seq Read: 2100+ MB/s
Seq Write: 1700+ MB/s

Why does Samsung Magician report slower sequential performance after upgrading to Samsung NVMe driver and is there a way to achieve the better performance? Should I have simply have kept the Microsoft driver?

Solution
I also have the 960 evo and am using the samsung NVME driver. I tested before and after and there was no difference worth mentioning scores where within a few percent of each other. I find my 960 evo puts up pretty inconsistent scores and from what I have read many other 960 evo's do as well, I can run a bench one day then run it agin another and scores are different. If you haven't already I would restart the computer and run the bench again before you uninstall it, if you plan to uninstall it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I also have the 960 evo and am using the samsung NVME driver. I tested before and after and there was no difference worth mentioning scores where within a few percent of each other. I find my 960 evo puts up pretty inconsistent scores and from what I have read many other 960 evo's do as well, I can run a bench one day then run it agin another and scores are different. If you haven't already I would restart the computer and run the bench again before you uninstall it, if you plan to uninstall it.

Solution

Patrick Anthony

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
The Samsung drivers actually reduce the power thus making the drive more power efficient. (Slower). In a desktop where this would be installed power is not an issue. Use the Microsoft driver and get the most out of the drive. I do not know why they did this. Can anyone elaborate?