[SOLVED] Samsung 960 evo w/ asrock h310m-hdv/m.2

fippil

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my read/write speed on my m.2 samsung 960 evo. My read speed is only 1750 MB/s and write 700 MB/s.

I'm aware there are tons of solution and threads on this subject, but I can't make sense of them nor find my answer. I'm not sure if it 's some sort of PCIe limitation, nor do I really know or understand the function of these slots.

My motherboard is an asrock h310m-hdv/m.2. Perhaps someone who is knowledgable could see if there are hardware limitations and if I need to change my motherboard or do something else to achieve proper speeds. I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Solution
Well the gen2 and gen3 compatibility is a start in terms of identifying the issue. Don't know how to identify whether this would cause a lack of full performance from the ssd. I had another mobo before this current one with the same SSD. If I recall correctly, it ran at full speeds. I'll check what gen that mobo was compatible with.

Also I installed a driver, although i'm not sure if it was the right one. There was only a NVME driver, but I think that also covers my SSD. As of right now it didn't fix anything.

I cannot for the life of me find my old mobo, but I think I may simply need to upgrade from my current one since it doesn't support my m.2 properly.
Yes, that Samsung driver (v3.3) Is NVME driver, you can see it in...
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my read/write speed on my m.2 samsung 960 evo. My read speed is only 1750 MB/s and write 700 MB/s.

I'm aware there are tons of solution and threads on this subject, but I can't make sense of them nor find my answer. I'm not sure if it 's some sort of PCIe limitation, nor do I really know or understand the function of these slots.

My motherboard is an asrock h310m-hdv. Perhaps someone who is knowledgable could see if there are hardware limitations and if I need to change my motherboard or do something else to achieve proper speeds. I would greatly appreciate it.
How did you install that SSD ?

fippil

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
How did you install that SSD ?

What do you mean exactly? In terms of physically installing onto mobo or program? I simply placed the m.2 into its slot and that was it. Is there some sort of driver or program I'm supposed to use? I have samsung magician, but that didn't change anything.

What do you mean exactly? In terms of physically installing onto mobo or program? I simply placed the m.2 into its slot and that was it. Is there some sort of driver or program I'm supposed to use? I have samsung magician, but that didn't change anything.
There's a driver for it at Samsung site.
Another posibility, it says "M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s)** 960 is Gen3 PCIe.

Last edited:

fippil

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
There's a driver for it at Samsung site.
Another posibility, it says "M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s)** 960 is Gen3 PCIe.

Well the gen2 and gen3 compatibility is a start in terms of identifying the issue. Don't know how to identify whether this would cause a lack of full performance from the ssd. I had another mobo before this current one with the same SSD. If I recall correctly, it ran at full speeds. I'll check what gen that mobo was compatible with.

Also I installed a driver, although i'm not sure if it was the right one. There was only a NVME driver, but I think that also covers my SSD. As of right now it didn't fix anything.

I cannot for the life of me find my old mobo, but I think I may simply need to upgrade from my current one since it doesn't support my m.2 properly.

Last edited:

Yes, that Samsung driver (v3.3) Is NVME driver, you can see it in Device manager, not at Drives but under Storage controllers. "Samsung NVMe Controller".
In addition, it looks like PCIe that's for M.2 is v2 and controlled by chipset not CPU which is usually slower.
As far as PCIe is concerned, every new version had about twice the bandwidth of previous version so v3 is twice as fast as v2.
Edit.
You might want to look at this: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/NVME-SSD-PCIE-2-0-only/td-p/6045103

Last edited:
Solution

fippil

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
Yes, that Samsung driver (v3.3) Is NVME driver, you can see it in Device manager, not at Drives but under Storage controllers. "Samsung NVMe Controller".
In addition, it looks like PCIe that's for M.2 is v2 and controlled by chipset not CPU which is usually slower.
As far as PCIe is concerned, every new version had about twice the bandwidth of previous version so v3 is twice as fast as v2.
Edit.
You might want to look at this: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/NVME-SSD-PCIE-2-0-only/td-p/6045103

Thanks for the response, I bought a motherboard with a gen3 socket, unfortuantely I was unaware of this sort of compatibility issue.