Samsung 960 Pro SSD Compatable with MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard?

Solution
It does not look like it. That motherboard has an mSATA port, not an M.2 port on it.

As you mentioned, it is possible to use a PCIE adapter card on it and if you set the motherboard to x8 / x4 / x4 mode for the three PCIE x16 slots then the adapter could run with all four lanes enabled at full speed. The most popular adapter I have seen recently is the ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD right now.

Good luck!

wildfire707

Distinguished
It does not look like it. That motherboard has an mSATA port, not an M.2 port on it.

As you mentioned, it is possible to use a PCIE adapter card on it and if you set the motherboard to x8 / x4 / x4 mode for the three PCIE x16 slots then the adapter could run with all four lanes enabled at full speed. The most popular adapter I have seen recently is the ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD right now.

Good luck!

Solution

thepieintheface

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the answer, just wondering how I would go about changing the motherboard to 8x 4x 4x, I was looking through the BIOS but couldnt find anything.

wildfire707

Distinguished
According the the MSI manual the slot behavior is automatic. PCI_E2 is the primary slot (the first x16 slot) and if you put something in the next x16 slot it will run in x8 / x8 / x0 mode. If all 3 PCIE x16 slots have stuff plugged into them, then it will run the first x16 at x8 and the other two in x4 mode.