[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo 1TB vs Intel 660p 2TB for desktop and gaming?

mihailt

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017
Hi ya fellas,

I need your help with a dilemma I've come across. Here's my current PC setup:

i7 8700 (non-k)
Aorus H370 Gaming 3 WiFi
32GB 2666MHz CL13 HyperX Predator RAM
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W

I'm using my PC mainly as an everyday desktop and gaming rig.

I very much love the performance of the 970 Evo, but the problem is that 500GB is no longer enough for my main drive. While the 1TB 970 Evo is an obvious choice, with the size of current games (latest Modern Warfare is 175 GB) I fear that I'll be looking at the same problem in less than a year.

Then I came across the Intel 660p, which at 2TB is negligably more expensive than the 1TB 970. Of course, the catch is that it uses QLC memory, albeit with a very good controller which manages to mask its natural shortcomings. My question is, would I notice a visible downgrade if I go for the 660p, compared to my main drive, in the tasks I'm using my PC for?

Most people say that for everyday use and gaming it's a very good choice. In what scenarios does it start to lose performance? The SLC cache for the 2TB model is 240GB when empty and 24GB at 100% full. What does this mean in my usage scenario? Should I keep 300-400 GB free at all times? Will there be a performance drop if I install a 100GB game? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Also, I noticed some comments about Intel drives lower throttling temp. I think my case (FD Define C) has good enough airflow with 2x140 intakes, 1x120 rear exhaust and 2x120 AIO top exhausts, but I noticed that ever since I installed my AIO, the Samsung 970 Evo increased it's temps by several degrees compared to my previous air tower cooler. What are the chances I would experience thermal throttling with the 660p?

Maybe something in between like the Corsair MP510 2TB?

You won´t even see a difference with a SATA SSD. At the moment it´s only benchmark theoretical. In real life eventually you could be a view seconds at most faster on a map than others.

If you don´t need it now, wait for better prices.

Reactions: mihailt

mihailt

Reputable
Dec 7, 2017
Maybe something in between like the Corsair MP510 2TB?

You won´t even see a difference with a SATA SSD. At the moment it´s only benchmark theoretical. In real life eventually you could be a view seconds at most faster on a map than others.

If you don´t need it now, wait for better prices.

Thanks for the info, helpstar. To be honest, why not the Corsair - no particular reason. I'd just like to either get the best performance or the best deal.

Another option I'm considering - get the 1TB 970 Evo and hope, that by the time it's not enough capacity for my needs, the prices will have fallen further for the 2TB drives.

Any opinion on how sufficient the 660p SLC cache is for everyday usage and installation of larger games? :)

popatim

Titan
I went with the 660P. The write buffer is huge but decreases to it's minimum size at 75% full. I think for the 1TB that is still 16gb.

But since I can't download faster then the drive can write, even in it's slowest mode, I don't care. :sweatsmile: