[SOLVED] Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1tb + laptop temperatures

Jun 6, 2021
Bought a new ssd for my laptop MSI GP73 leopard 8rd instead of default ssd KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ. Temperatures are scaring me a bit: up to 70 at idle and reached about 80 when under CrystalDiskMark test. For comparison old ssd (which i am using atm) gets 55 and up to 65 respectively. I am concerned about new ssd longevity with this temperatures. i already have thermal pad installed and i am unsure of what more i can do to make it cooler (laptop's limited space).

Longevity is much more important to me than speed.

I am willing to buy slower/cheaper ssd if it means it won't burn itself in a year and leave evo for "later uses" where i'd be be able to cool it. I am open to any suggestions.

Also if you think i should get another ssd, which one would you recommend? I intend to use this drive mostly as system/important programs so would be nice to have good read speeds and alright-ish write speeds, My current ssd has ~1500 MB/s sequential read and ~400MB/s sequential write which is fine by me, but space is lacking.

Solution
Thread with similar problem of yours: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-temperature.3701663/
(SSD Overheating on a laptop)

The culprit really is that airflow on laptops weren't designed in mind to accommodate high heat generating M.2 SSDs. Either the laptop has poor airflow or non existing airflow, needed to push the hot air out of the laptop.

I am willing to buy slower/cheaper ssd if it means it won't burn itself in a year and leave evo for "later uses" where i'd be be able to cool it. I am open to any suggestions.

Yes, go ahead and try a SATA SSD instead of M.2 ssd. Less speed means less heat generated.
As for SATA SSD recommendations, I leave it up to...
Thread with similar problem of yours: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-temperature.3701663/
(SSD Overheating on a laptop)

The culprit really is that airflow on laptops weren't designed in mind to accommodate high heat generating M.2 SSDs. Either the laptop has poor airflow or non existing airflow, needed to push the hot air out of the laptop.

Yes, go ahead and try a SATA SSD instead of M.2 ssd. Less speed means less heat generated.
As for SATA SSD recommendations, I leave it up to others. Samsung is a good choice.
FYI boot times on M.2 and SATA SSD are very similar. Its only the read/write speeds where they start to significantly differ.

Reactions: Skwoogey
Solution