Question Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB(NVMe) or WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe x2?

Jun 4, 2019
I'm after a good nvme m.2 ssd card.
After some comparison i came to the conclusion that evo plus>evo pro>wd black>evo. 1tb at $225 then i noticed a WD blue 500gb at only $65(no 1tb version avaliable)

Normally I'd go for the Samsung EVO without second thought, but the new WB blue NVme is at such a good price. I read that 970 EVO has almost 2x of the speed of WD blues on Userbenchmark, but what will the actual difference be under practical use? I'm using these two SSD for windows and as faster steam liberary. I prefer faster booting, application access and game loading speed but don't mind an extra second or two (for the price). My MB is an ASUS ASUS PRIME Z270-A and it seems to support Raid 0. running 7700k with gtx1070 but plan to upgrade in ~6 months.

Thanks a lot

The faster NVME speeds can only be taken advantage of by some specific applications optimized for the same. In general use and more precisely the use case you have mentioned, you will hardly notice any real time difference. You can definitely go for the WD unit.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree with Hellfire13 on speed and real world usage. The price is an issue too although with the WD you're getting half the capacity for less than half the price.

But when it comes to SSDs I personally wouldn't choose WD over Samsung. You might be paying a premium if you buy the Samsung drive but for higher quality and (potentially) more longevity. Unless budget is the determining factor here so by all means get the better priced drive.

Reactions: Ineedanewusername6
But when it comes to SSDs I personally wouldn't choose WD over Samsung. You might be paying a premium if you buy the Samsung drive but for higher quality and (potentially) more longevity. Unless budget is the determining factor here so by all means get the better priced drive.

You are paying only for the speed, which is irrelevant in this case.
As for longevity... https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the...es-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/
If I go for Samsung over WD here, that will be only for the Magician software.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As for longevity... https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the...es-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

Yes, as I said, I agree with you about the speed factor being somewhat irrelevant in this case. Although that higher speed is a function of the higher quality I mentioned, for which a premium is worth it for me.

Yes, longevity for many drives these days is not a real issue because (if there's no external factor at play) they pretty much outlive the systems they go in. However, there are exceptions as some models by some brands fail quite often and way sooner than their manufacturer's advertise.

I also agree that Samsung Magician is a big plus and can't beleive I didn't mention that! I have hands-on experience with it as I've used it for my system and for a few others to migrate existing Windows installations without any hiccups. On one occasion there was data/file corruption which later kind of was chalked down to faulty RAM.

Jun 4, 2019
Thank you for your response. I'm in experienced with the magitian software and will probably go for the WD since they are the better deal (130 vs 225USD for 1TB), do you recommand that I do a RAID 0 setup for my purposes?

Thank you for your response. I'm in experienced with the magitian software and will probably go for the WD since they are the better deal (130 vs 225USD for 1TB), do you recommand that I do a RAID 0 setup for my purposes?
I don't think anyone here would ever recommend Raid 0 - ever :)
What's the point? You won't notice it any faster and when one fails (and it will fail) you lose everything (btw everything fails eventually)

Reactions: Bearmann
You need clear your mind about why you need RAID with SSDs???
If its for speed then its irrelevant as a SSDs are pretty fast anyway. If its for redundancy, then anything but RAID 0...
https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

Reactions: Ineedanewusername6
Jun 4, 2019
You need clear your mind about why you need RAID with SSDs???
If its for speed then its irrelevant as a SSDs are pretty fast anyway. If its for redundancy, then anything but RAID 0...
https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid
Very informative article tyvm! I guess the main reason outside of better speed/performance would be the having a bigger ssd steam libarary since RAID 0 would combine the two 500gb to a 1tb drive if I understand correctly. But it seems like it's adding the probability of drive failures so I will likely stick to the method mentioned in the article "mounting one drive in the folder path of the other drive"

Very informative article tyvm! I guess the main reason outside of better speed/performance would be the having a bigger ssd steam libarary since RAID 0 would combine the two 500gb to a 1tb drive if I understand correctly. But it seems like it's adding the probability of drive failures so I will likely stick to the method mentioned in the article "mounting one drive in the folder path of the other drive"
(y)

TRENDING THREADS