[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo Plus Fast Speeds but not "feeling" as fast?

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
So for a while I had windows running on my SSD and eventually I decided to get rid of the HD I had in my system by upgrading to an NVME drive. My plan was to transfer the data from the SSD --> NVME (using Macrium reflect) and then from the HD --> SSD so I can effectively remove the HD

Now long story short it didn't go exactly as planned in the beginning, mainly due to windows 10 being a douche at times. Somewhere along the frustration, I decided to try and install a fresh windows 10 install on the NVME and work from there (the specifics as to why is another story). Regardless, I noticed in that fresh install of windows, that things felt super quick, as expected of an NVME. Boot times were super fast, opening things like file explorer was almost instant, shutting down the PC felt almost instant, it overall felt really quick as it should

Eventually, I did manage to do the transfers like I had originally planned to do so and it ended up working on that front, however there has been something feeling off. Whenver I do things like open file explorer or shut down the system, it just doesn't feel as snappy as it did with the fresh install. It still runs fast yes (startup times are usually ~8s) but there's this offputting feeling that it just isn't running as fast as it did before

I ran some benchmarks (CrystalDisk and Samsung Magician) and the results came back with similar speeds to what I saw in reviews so it doesn't seem wrong in that front. I would've thought it had to do with temperature but even on initial boot when the temps are ~30C it's still the same. I also tried lowering the startup/background tasks, but can still not achieve that speed

I know it's a very trivial problem, but I'm just wondering if I'm tripping or could there be a potential fix (that doesn't involve completely reinstalling windows and giving me ptsd again) that can solve this issue?

Solution
Fresh windows has nothing set other than defaults, so will work as fast as it can. Once you start adding things like 3rd party Antivirus, malware checkers, temperature monitors, motherboard software, Steam, Adobe, Origin, U-Play, winzip, winrar or any other miscellaneous startup or stay resident programs, things slow down a little as menus and files are all checked and balanced against those. Add in library access and orphaned registry files, install files remaining in temp folders and things can come to a crawl.

Make sure your windows and storage and registry is clean, use ccleaner on default and say YES to backup requests.
So for a while I had windows running on my SSD and eventually I decided to get rid of the HD I had in my system by upgrading to an NVME drive. My plan was to transfer the data from the SSD --> NVME (using Macrium reflect) and then from the HD --> SSD so I can effectively remove the HD

Now long story short it didn't go exactly as planned in the beginning, mainly due to windows 10 being a douche at times. Somewhere along the frustration, I decided to try and install a fresh windows 10 install on the NVME and work from there (the specifics as to why is another story). Regardless, I noticed in that fresh install of windows, that things felt super quick, as expected of an NVME. Boot times were super fast, opening things like file explorer was almost instant, shutting down the PC felt almost instant, it overall felt really quick as it should

Eventually, I did manage to do the transfers like I had originally planned to do so and it ended up working on that front, however there has been something feeling off. Whenver I do things like open file explorer or shut down the system, it just doesn't feel as snappy as it did with the fresh install. It still runs fast yes (startup times are usually ~8s) but there's this offputting feeling that it just isn't running as fast as it did before

I ran some benchmarks (CrystalDisk and Samsung Magician) and the results came back with similar speeds to what I saw in reviews so it doesn't seem wrong in that front. I would've thought it had to do with temperature but even on initial boot when the temps are ~30C it's still the same. I also tried lowering the startup/background tasks, but can still not achieve that speed

I know it's a very trivial problem, but I'm just wondering if I'm tripping or could there be a potential fix (that doesn't involve completely reinstalling windows and giving me ptsd again) that can solve this issue?
Once you open File Explorer or any program that reads from disks, it reads all disks connected so if one is slower it will also slow down by that much. Also, interaction between disks (copying/transferring files goes by the speed of slower one.
Another problem could be Drive Indexing that can slow down slower drive. It's not needed with SSDs so it can be disabled.

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
You would’ve been better to leave the fresh install alone
I would have done that, but that "current" windows install had a lot of things perfectly configured so it would have been annoying to have to go and redo all of that. Like I said it's only a trivial issue, (i.e., I'm not losing sleep over it) so I'd much rather keep my original W10 install and have this tiny bit slower than vice versa lol. I only asked this question in the event that there is some glaring solution that I might have not considered

Once you open File Explorer or any program that reads from disks, it reads all disks connected so if one is slower it will also slow down by that much. Also, interaction between disks (copying/transferring files goes by the speed of slower one.
Another problem could be Drive Indexing that can slow down slower drive. It's not needed with SSDs so it can be disabled.
That seems plausible, though idk because at the time of the fresh install, the same drives were plugged in that are plugged in as of now, so not sure if that's the issue.
I tried disabling Search Indexing, and it seemed to make things a little bit quicker (though idk if that's just placebo or not) but unfortunately not the issue in question

D

Deleted member 14196

It could be related to a driver issue so you might want to re-install the latest chipset drivers at least and see if that helps you out

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fresh windows has nothing set other than defaults, so will work as fast as it can. Once you start adding things like 3rd party Antivirus, malware checkers, temperature monitors, motherboard software, Steam, Adobe, Origin, U-Play, winzip, winrar or any other miscellaneous startup or stay resident programs, things slow down a little as menus and files are all checked and balanced against those. Add in library access and orphaned registry files, install files remaining in temp folders and things can come to a crawl.

Make sure your windows and storage and registry is clean, use ccleaner on default and say YES to backup requests.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution