Question Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 SSD doesn't work properly

Jul 14, 2020
Specs:
CPU: R5 2600 stock
MB: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel (PVS416G320C6K) two 8gigs sticks with XMP-profile at 3200MHz
Additional storage: 1 HDD WD Blue, 2 SATA III SSDs. They don't use SATA 5 and 6 ports.
PSU: AEROCOOL Strike-X 600w

Idk, what else is important here ^

SSD is visible to system, I can see it in BIOS, Disk Management and Explorer, I can open it, format it, etc.

I installed 3 different controller drivers: Microsoft one, Samsung NVM Express one and weird AMD driver. They all failed in various operations with either BSODs (DPC WATHDOG VIOLATION) or errors in Event Viewer.

What I've done:
I tried benchmark in Crystal Disk Mark, but nope, test stopped or crashed. Disconnected one of SSD's and tried benchmark again (didn't work) just in case M.2 SSD's lacking power.

Then I tried to install Windows 10 on it. Failed with 0x800701b1 error.

And finally, I tried just copying files on it. Well, at first glance it looked like SSD copied files (with one or two drops to 0mb/s), but then I opened Windows Event Viewer and noticed this errors:

-"An error detected on device \Device\Harddisk\…during a paging operation" (Event ID 51)
-"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in volumeid: F; DeviceName: bla-bla. (A device which does not exist was specified.)." (Event ID 140)

After all that I went to my friend with completely different rig like:
CPU: Xeon e5-2678 v3
MB: some Chinese manufacturer
RAM: various :D
Additional storage: 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

And it worked perfectly fine for him! We installed Windows, we copied files without any errors in Event Viewer. So I'm guessing it's not SSD's fault, but rather my m.2 slot or drivers.

What I will do is try his SSD in my system. But for now: any ideas on this?

PS. I apologize for this verbosity and my "perfect" English.

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
First thing to do any time you suspect something faulty with storage media is to replace the SATA cable. Actually replace with new, don't just swap existing cables around.

Please do it and keep me updated if it didn't work .

Jul 14, 2020
So I plugged in another M.2 SSD from my friend's PC(he has PNY M.2 XLR8 CS3030) and it passed benchmarks in Crystal Disk Mark and Samsung Magician without any problems.

It looks like Samsung SSD having issues running under AMD Ryzen and this mobo, because my other friend with Xeon system successfully installed Windows and copied files on my SSD. What else can I do to fix Samsung SSD?

Last edited: