[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD is showing high temperature on laptop ?

Mar 15, 2021
So I have recently bought an m2 970 evo plus 500gb and its showing 50-60c temp while gaming and around 40c idle.
I have my os installed on it and a few games. If I run a game on the ssd and my 2 fans at max rpm (cooler boost:around 6000rpm) it would show around 50-60c for both gpu and cpu and 52-56c for the ssd
If I'm not using the fans at full capacity the gpu and cpu would be 70-50c and ssd would be 58-62c.
As for games on my HDD my ssd would show 43-48c with cooler boost on and if I turn it off, it shows 60c.
I have an Msi Gv62 8rd laptop:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GV62-8RD/Specification
It came with an optane memory but I replaced it with this ssd when my hdd kept showing 100% even tho it's healthy.
Also this the inside of the laptop: View: https://imgur.com/a/vwvLxbu

Should I remove this thermal pad? I was told it was too thick. Also can it be that the ssd is getting hot cuz it's too close to the ram?
And would a cooling fan help cool it down? My cpu and gpu temperatures are ok so I didn't think I would need one. Or do I need a heatsink? But I heard I have to remove the sticker off the ssd for it to work and that voids warranty.
Is this normal? Cause it doesn't feel like it and I keep reading that this ssd running hot is normal. It's the first time I try an m2 ssd.
What should I do if it's not?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
The M.2 drives run warm by design. The performance 'sweet spot' for them is somewhere in between too hot and too cold.
Thermals are already a problem with laptops due to their small packages.

The thermal pad is there to spread some of the heat from the SSD into the PCB. Clearly, that isn't enough.
It needs more active/passive cooling - like one of those M.2 heatsinks, and even then, I have to wonder if that's enough, because there's still a lack of direct airflow over that area.
You may need to grab both the heatsink and improve ventilation to get more reasonable thermals.
Mar 15, 2021
970 will heat a bit without heatsink, up to 70C is still ok
I mean, I'm pretty sure it will be close to a 70 in summer. But it showing "too high" on Samsung magician starting from 52c and red with a warning on Crystaldiskinfo starting from 60c is kind of freaking me out. And I've tried transferring large files when it hit 60c and the rate wasn't stable so I thought it was throttling.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The M.2 drives run warm by design. The performance 'sweet spot' for them is somewhere in between too hot and too cold.
Thermals are already a problem with laptops due to their small packages.

The thermal pad is there to spread some of the heat from the SSD into the PCB. Clearly, that isn't enough.
It needs more active/passive cooling - like one of those M.2 heatsinks, and even then, I have to wonder if that's enough, because there's still a lack of direct airflow over that area.
You may need to grab both the heatsink and improve ventilation to get more reasonable thermals.

Solution
Mar 15, 2021
I bought a cooling pad and cleaned its internal fans and now its temperature is 46-49c while gaming and 37-38c idle. I don't even have to use cooler boost anymore, just leaving internal fans running at less than half its speed(2000rpm). Which is great cuz I'm pretty sure running them at top speed(6000rpm) all the time shortens their life span. I guess I don't need a heatsink anymore with these temperatures. Thank you all for helping ^^

Aug 24, 2021
I bought a cooling pad and cleaned its internal fans and now its temperature is 46-49c while gaming and 37-38c idle. I don't even have to use cooler boost anymore, just leaving internal fans running at less than half its speed(2000rpm). Which is great cuz I'm pretty sure running them at top speed(6000rpm) all the time shortens their life span. I guess I don't need a heatsink anymore with these temperatures. Thank you all for helping ^^
Hi
I want to buy this ssd model. Did the body of your laptop get hot with out cooling pad?