[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo Plus showing as 'Unknown' in Samsung Magician Software

ampreston85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
As the title states, I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus and it only shows up as an unknown device within the Samsung Magician software. When I built this PC it would show up fine, however following one of my reformats (I reformat periodically just to keep things clean and fresh), it stopped showing up in Samsungs software. I'm running an i9 9900k, Asus Maximus Hero XI Wifi, and the 970 Evo Plus is my OS drive. As far as I know I'm not seeing any issue outside of the software, though I'm unsure. The issue is, aside from not being able to monitor and update the drive via Samsung Magician, is that I cannot quite figure out how to resolve this, despite identifying that it's likely because I am running the Intel driver for NVME. I've done some looking around and see that I should install the Microsoft or Samsung version of these drivers, however when I attempt to install the Samsung driver directly from their site, it says no Samsung NVME device detected. Looking around further I've seen some different issues that cause this, but this is where it gets a little cloudy for me and I'm unsure what to do. One of the suggestions to resolve this involves changing how the NVME drive is read. I've attempted changing the 'Sata Mode Selection' from 'Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane' to 'AHCI', and also separately attempted changing the 'M.2 Storage and Raid Support' to 'Not RST Controlled', however upon doing this, it renders the boot drive unbootable. If anyone could point me in the right direction to fix this, preferably a solution that will not require the reinstallation of my OS (I just did a fresh install about a month ago). Thank you all for your help!

Solution

ampreston85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Latest version of Magician?
Yup. This is something I noticed after a reformat sometime over this past Spring, and it's been this way ever since. Even after my most recent reinstall. Reading around says it's because I'm using Intel's NVME driver and to use Samsungs, or to turn off the RST raid option, but doing that makes the drive bluescreen at the end of loading windows.

Solution