Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review: More Layers Brings More Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talwyn Wize

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I do wish you'd compared it to the 960, though, so we could see the improvement in comparison to its previous generation.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018

Unfortunately, I do not have access to either. I did get to borrow a 1TB 970 PRO temporarily for testing, so that is included, but not the 512GB model.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018

Check out the 1TB charts on the third page of the review. In the 50GB copy and 6GB read tests, SYSmark, and game load test it out performs it.

As end products both the 970 EVO and EVO Plus feature the same exact endurance rating. They have been using TLC in the EVO line up for years now.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm curious if they've made it compatible with PCIe gen 4 with a firmware upgrade. Little odd to be coming out with a PCIe gen3 product when the gen 4 was ratified last summer.

ArmadaCas

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Does anyone know if this SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS (1TB) will run in an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming with an i7 6700k..? The documentation for the mobo mentions M.2, but not NVME, so I'm kinda lost.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018

"As with previous specifications of PCIe, PCIe 4.0 will be fully backward-compatible, so devices designed for earlier specifications will still operate correctly with the new technology."

-> https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/storage/5439-pci-express-4-0-pcie-gen4

Yes, it will. The M.2 slot runs at PCIe 3.0 x4 interface speeds and has a new UEFI with NVMe support, so it is compatible.

Reactions: ArmadaCas

Rob_54

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

A quick google say your mobo is PCIe 3.0 x4 so yes, it will work properly with a NVMe M.2 SSD.

Reactions: ArmadaCas

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

What would be the point? It's going to be a good while before PCIe 4.0 is a significant market for consumer products. Samsung will likely be on to another product generation by that time. They'll probably want a good spread of engineering samples from motherboard makers to test with before launching PCIe 4.0 products.

There's also the practice of minimizing the number of new technologies implemented in a single product to avoid problems. I recall a GPU maker who got badly bitten when they tried to combine a new architecture launch with a process node shrink. It went badly and gave their rival the market lead for a year or so. The rival had chosen to do their new architecture on the node they already knew well, even though it meant a BIG chip. It turned out to be the better choice.

Apr 15, 2019
Sorry, but i'm a bit of noob. That means: any ssd i put there (if i swap them is useless i guess) will have half of the listed speeds from specifications?
So the ssd is ok but the mobo slot doesn't allow him it to run full mode?!

Is there a mobo for Ryzen 7 which to have 2 * M.2 slots that to run in full mode?

And thank you very much for the help sir!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much.

I don't know of any Ryzen mobo that has two M.2 slots that are both 3.0 x4 off the top of my head. You'd probably have to get an M.2 add in card adapter so you could put the SSD in a PCIe slot. But your graphic card would drop down to x8 from x16 in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.