Question samsung 970 evo plus won't boot a fresh install of windows 10

armouredteddy

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Yesterday I opened my laptop ( dell inspiron 15 7567 ), to renew the thermal paste and clean it up as best I can. It has never before been opened and was dirty as could be. It was my first time opening up a laptop as well, so the mistake might be somewhere in my assembly, but it booted up great with my old HDD.

After booting it up once with the old HDD, I installed the SSD with the HDD still in and tried to install windows, which later I found out was a mistake. I then did a fresh install of windows with just the SSD in, my rufus settings were - GPT, UEFI(non-csm), Large FAT32. It installed fine, but after the restart at the end of installation, it just boots up the flash drive again instead of the installed windows on the SSD. Tried with UEFI, Legacy, secure boot enabled, tried cleaning and formatting to GPT in the cmd. But it always just installed windows and booted the flast drive again.

My Bios isn't up to date, I tried to update that since I read it could be a compatibility issue. But Dell doesn't let you update bios if you don't have a battery plugged in and mine unfortunately is bad.

I read in a couple of forums about exactly an 970 evo plus and people said that they got a replacement and everything was fine with it, that it may just be a faulty SSD, but Dell's hardware diagnostics says everything is fine.

Would be grateful for any help I could get, seeing as now I'm just wondering if I should ask for a replacement.

Yesterday I opened my laptop ( dell inspiron 15 7567 ), to renew the thermal paste and clean it up as best I can. It has never before been opened and was dirty as could be. It was my first time opening up a laptop as well, so the mistake might be somewhere in my assembly, but it booted up great with my old HDD.

After booting it up once with the old HDD, I installed the SSD with the HDD still in and tried to install windows, which later I found out was a mistake. I then did a fresh install of windows with just the SSD in, my rufus settings were - GPT, UEFI(non-csm), Large FAT32. It installed fine, but after the restart at the end of installation, it just boots up the flash drive again instead of the installed windows on the SSD. Tried with UEFI, Legacy, secure boot enabled, tried cleaning and formatting to GPT in the cmd. But it always just installed windows and booted the flast drive again.

My Bios isn't up to date, I tried to update that since I read it could be a compatibility issue. But Dell doesn't let you update bios if you don't have a battery plugged in and mine unfortunately is bad.

I read in a couple of forums about exactly an 970 evo plus and people said that they got a replacement and everything was fine with it, that it may just be a faulty SSD, but Dell's hardware diagnostics says everything is fine.

Would be grateful for any help I could get, seeing as now I'm just wondering if I should ask for a replacement.
Which Windows ? If W10 you are making boot USB wrong way.

TRENDING THREADS