[SOLVED] Samsung 970 Evo secure erase

Andrew T

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
Greetings
I have a year now installed an Samsung 970 EVO Nve 500Gb and has Win 10 installed on it. I have 2 other HDs, a WD Black 1 TB and the WD blue 500G installed in my system.
I plan install Manjaro on the WD blue.But that no the case.
I want to secure erase my 970 SSD.
When I tried with Samsung Magician (on next state in DOS mode) the drive is 'frozen' and give me message to disconnect my drive!
But how this will happen while my system is running? I believe it dangerous .and I don't want to use parted Magic as other optin ( not going to pay for a program I will use it once maybe in a year). But my BIOS have the option to erase my SSD.
Is the progress secured with my Bios secure erase? Will do the same task as Samsung Magician? Or the Samsung's utility is more safe ?
My drive isn't SATA SSD to just remove the cables as the Magician suggest ..its NVE , and remoove the screw daring system in power I don't approve with this method.
Is there some way to wipe entirely ANY data the SSD has, without unplug the SSD? Or I can use the Asus tool from bios without problem?

My specs
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
MB:Asus Crosshair VI Hero ( with the new bios update allow third gen CPUs too installed)
RAM : 16GB Dual Channel 2 sims 3200 Mhz
GFX: Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 8G
CPU Coller : Coolemaster hyper 212X
PSU: Seasonic 850FX 80+Gold

Greetings
I have a year now installed an Samsung 970 EVO Nve 500Gb and has Win 10 installed on it. I have 2 other HDs, a WD Black 1 TB and the WD blue 500G installed in my system.
I plan install Manjaro on the WD blue.But that no the case.
I want to secure erase my 970 SSD.
When I tried with Samsung Magician (on next state in DOS mode) the drive is 'frozen' and give me message to disconnect my drive!
But how this will happen while my system is running? I believe it dangerous .and I don't want to use parted Magic as other optin ( not going to pay for a program I will use it once maybe in a year). But my BIOS have the option to erase my SSD.
Is the progress secured with my Bios secure erase? Will do the same task as Samsung Magician? Or the Samsung's utility is more safe ?
My drive isn't SATA SSD to just remove the cables as the Magician suggest ..its NVE , and remoove the screw daring system in power I don't approve with this method.
Is there some way to wipe entirely ANY data the SSD has, without unplug the SSD? Or I can use the Asus tool from bios without problem?

My specs
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
MB:Asus Crosshair VI Hero ( with the new bios update allow third gen CPUs too installed)
RAM : 16GB Dual Channel 2 sims 3200 Mhz
GFX: Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 8G
CPU Coller : Coolemaster hyper 212X
PSU: Seasonic 850FX 80+Gold
Why do you feel you need to secure erase drive if you are not getting rid of it ?

Andrew T

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
Why do you feel you need to secure erase drive if you are not getting rid of it ?
Because I want to erase every data can be stored in cells from previous Win 10 installations .I have trouble when installed win 10 for second time.It give me the options and colors/ themes from previous installs means the data even with new clear installation, win 10 still 'read' the old ones and that trouble me.

Because I want to erase every data can be stored in cells from previous Win 10 installations .I have trouble when installed win 10 for second time.It give me the options and colors/ themes from previous installs means the data even with new clear installation, win 10 still 'read' the old ones and that trouble me.
That is not because drive was not safely erased, it's enough to delete all partitions from that drive before installing windows again.
There are 2 ways windows 10 can give you back some of those settings. It saves them on MS server when windows are activated or get them from RE partition it makes when installed. If you delete RE partition, install windows while disconnected from internet and choosing not to synchronize windows, it will install windows only with factory defaults.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Andrew T

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
That is not because drive was not safely erased, it's enough to delete all partitions from that drive before installing windows again.
There are 2 ways windows 10 can give you back some of those settings. It saves them on MS server when windows are activated or get them from RE partition it makes when installed. If you delete RE partition, install windows while disconnected from internet and choosing not to synchronize windows, it will install windows only with factory defaults.
I do that already .I never use cloud either and I delete my partitions.But I want to completely erase it.

Andrew T

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2014
The bios secure erase will do the job. It issues the same command to the drive that the utility would.
Thank you.Tho on Asus motherboard's manual support the 960 Evo only , but with the new bios update must have add support to the new ones too.Someone else tho told me I can just put in 'sleep' mode my computer ,not reboot it and do it with magician without need to remove the drive, but don't know the DOS command for that.
Its some solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you.Tho on Asus motherboard's manual support the 960 Evo only , but with the new bios update must have add support to the new ones too.Someone else tho told me I can just put in 'sleep' mode my computer ,not reboot it and do it with magician without need to remove the drive, but don't know the DOS command for that.
Its some solution
"someone' is incorrect.
You can't do this in sleep mode.

I agree with the others.

If you delete the partitions and use a local account during the reinstall then you will do a 100% clean install with nothing carried over.

You only need to worry about a secure erase if you have sensitive information to dispose of.