Samsung 970 EVO won't let me restart my computer

Karuto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So here's my setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X
AORUS Gaming 5 Wifi
Samsung 970 EVO (250GB)

So the SSD works perfectly fine and I was able to install Windows. However, whenever I go to restart the computer, it hangs during the reboot sequence. In fact, it doesn't even show a video output (my monitor pops up with the message). I actually have to shut down my computer and restart it from that state to get it to boot properly. I know it doesn't get anywhere because I've had that happen during Windows Update and it didn't interrupt it at all. Any idea what could be causing this issue? I did fiddle with some BIOS settings to get the M2 to work in the first place (my first SSD), so any help would be most appreciated!

Karuto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

Looks like that didn't do anything. I ran the command and it still did the same thing where it hung during the restart process. =(

Karuto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

It is apparently the latest update. It says "First Release" on the Aorus website for an update back in March (bought these parts on April 19 when the processor first came out).

Karuto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

See, I downloaded and installed that driver a few days ago. Could it be possible that the Windows NVME firmware is getting in the way, and would booting into safe mode to uninstalling that and reinstalling the Samsung driver once more do anything (if that's even doable)? I have other disks, but I disabled other boot options aside from the 970 just in case.

Isn't windows installed in UEFI mode ? BIOS is choosing UEFI partition to BOOT from ?

Karuto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

Ah, my bad. I thought F2 referred to a particular model number, but the more I think about it, why would it be there on the BIOS site for that particular product if it wasn't meant for the motherboard. Now I'm a wee bit embarrassed. Let me try that out and I'll update this post based on the results!

Update: That did the trick! I updated my BIOS with the driver from that site and it restarted like it should. Thanks a lot for the help, CountMike, as well as smorizio!