Question Samsung 970 Pro SSD 512GB not showing in BIOS

PhyziX1337

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4

Samsung 970 Pro SSD 512GB not showing in BIOS, I want to make it my main boot...

Any help please?

Lutfij

Titan
Always list yours pecs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Disconnect all drives from the system, make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the motherboard and then use a bootable installer made with Windows Media Creation Tools to install OS onto M.2 SSD.

PhyziX1337

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 -
SSD: Corsair Force LS 240GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C13 4x4GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4-CF

PhyziX1337

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
UPDATE

I updated the BIOS it works now, but its slow.

2dCq85I.png

PhyziX1337

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply brother.

Looks like i have to upgrade my motherboard, I have Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 right now, I want to upgrade it to motherboard who support "M.2 NVMe 3x4 in storage"
Which motherboard you guys recommend?

Thanks for your reply brother.

Looks like i have to upgrade my motherboard, I have Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 right now, I want to upgrade it to motherboard who support "M.2 NVMe 3x4 in storage"
Which motherboard you guys recommend?
I really do not think that is necessary.
A pcie adapter should do it if you are after the max sequential speeds.
Here is an example of such an adapter card.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=nvme_pcie_adapter-_-9SIA6V85HC8902-_-Product
I have no idea if this one is the best so do some due diligence to verify that such a card is ok on your motherboard.

It costs you only a few bucks to test such a card.
It costs much more to change out a motherboard and make that work.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You might not be able to boot from that drive in an adapter card.
  2. If you're going to change the motherboard, you might as well change everything else. CPU, RAM, etc.

Don't change the board just to get theoretical better performance from that drive.
Use it as is, and then transfer it to a whole new PC when you next build one.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. I imagine it would work OK for what it is
  2. Unknown. The fact still remains that you won't see any magical huge improvement over leaving in the current PCIe x2.0 port. The vast majority of what you'll be doing, esp just running the OS, happens at the 4k file segment layer. There, the NVMe drives are only marginally faster (if at all) than a regular SATA III SSD. I've seen many many people report here that the user facing difference is pretty minimal. You get the actual difference if you were moving around large sequential blocks of data. Which is not what you're doing with the OS.

And of course, this adapter still leaves open the question of - Can your particular motherboard boot from that NVMe drive in that adapter in a PCIe slot?
Completely unknown.

Personally, I'd just leave it where it is.

PhyziX1337

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
  1. I imagine it would work OK for what it is
  2. Unknown. The fact still remains that you won't see any magical huge improvement over leaving in the current PCIe x2.0 port. The vast majority of what you'll be doing, esp just running the OS, happens at the 4k file segment layer. There, the NVMe drives are only marginally faster (if at all) than a regular SATA III SSD. I've seen many many people report here that the user facing difference is pretty minimal. You get the actual difference if you were moving around large sequential blocks of data. Which is not what you're doing with the OS.
And of course, this adapter still leaves open the question of - Can your particular motherboard boot from that NVMe drive in that adapter in a PCIe slot?
Completely unknown.

Personally, I'd just leave it where it is.
I ordered an adapter, will receive it next week probably.
I will post the result here.

Many thanks for the help guys.