avinatbezeq

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I can't make this work! The SSD is making problems at a new Windows 10 installation from scratch. The SSD is NOT the boot drive (which is another, Intel SSD working perfectly). Sometimes accessing it causes the computer to hang. Sometimes it just disappears!

Please help! Here are the details I collected:

Motherboard MSI Z97A Gaming 6 (MSI MS-7917)
BIOS E7917IMS V10.0 Jan 20 2015 (Note: This is strange. At this date the BIOS's version should be 1.0, not 10.0 !!!)
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB. Firmware: 1B2QEXP7 NVME M.2
Appears in Device Manager as Standard NVM Express Controller
The BIOS System Status says that M.2 SATA Port5 is Not Present (!!!!!!!!!!)
SATA mode is AHCI Mode
Boot mode is UEFI
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Version (Build) 2009 (10.0.19042)
There are four disks: Two intel 160GB old SSDs (one of them boot), a hard drive and the Samsung SSD (and a DVD)

avinatbezeq

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Thank you for your answer!

Yes, it's in the single M.2 port.

I'm a little apprehensive of upgrading the BIOS - I've never done that and I am afraid of bricking my computer. I have looked at the versions changes list and saw no mention of M.2, NVME or SSD...

Thank you for your answer!

Yes, it's in the single M.2 port.

I'm a little apprehensive of upgrading the BIOS - I've never done that and I am afraid of bricking my computer. I have looked at the versions changes list and saw no mention of M.2, NVME or SSD...

It's actually easy to update bios.
I've done that on both Asus and Msi z87/z97 motherboards.
Go to Msi's website and download the latest bios onto an empty USB flash drive
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/z97a-gaming-6

Then restart your computer and enter the bios screen. You will find update bios option there.

avinatbezeq

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Thank you both for helping!

The BIOS System Status still says that "M.2/SATA Port5" is "Not Present". However, now it DOES recognize my Samsung in a few places ( for example, in the boot order).

Now, to windows. Device manager says that the storage controller is "Standard NVM Express Controller". Last time around (prior to updating the BIOS as suggested here) I installed the Samsung driver trying to fix the SSD's issues. This caused the Device Manger's entry to change to "Samsung SSD" (or similar) but then it all went wrong.

Should I now, after I've updated the BIOS and gotten certain improvement, try to re-install the Samsung driver?