[SOLVED] Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe vs WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe?

May 2, 2021
Hello everyone.
I will appreciate your advice and help in choosing a SSD.

My PC configuration is as fallows:
Motherboard: MSI B250 PC MATE (MS-7A72)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
SSD: PLEXTOR PX-256M8PeGN (256GB) (Win 10 system drive)
2 Extra SATA HDD

I'm almost run out of data space and need to get a new low-priced 1TB SSD. I'm considering buying Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe SSD (MZ-V8V1T0BW) or WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe SSD (WDS100T2B0C) (I found both of them in a decent price). Which one will be better?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are looking to just Store get a 7200RPM HDD 2TB. Way cheaper and more space. Save the current SSD you have just for operating system and other programs you want. but Store files and pictures and videos or whatever on a 7200RPM 2TB
A hybrid (small SSD space + HDD) is pretty much useless for pics and videos....basic user data.
The small SSD space only caches frequently use blocks of data.
Unless you're watching the same movie over and over, anything new is read at regular HDD speed.

Hybrid drives are a dead concept.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hello everyone.
I will appreciate your advice and help in choosing a SSD.

My PC configuration is as fallows:
Motherboard: MSI B250 PC MATE (MS-7A72)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
SSD: PLEXTOR PX-256M8PeGN (256GB) (Win 10 system drive)
2 Extra SATA HDD

I'm almost run out of data space and need to get a new low-priced 1TB SSD. I'm considering buying Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe SSD (MZ-V8V1T0BW) or WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe SSD (WDS100T2B0C) (I found both of them in a decent price). Which one will be better?

Thank you in advance.
If you are looking to just Store get a 7200RPM HDD 2TB. Way cheaper and more space. Save the current SSD you have just for operating system and other programs you want. but Store files and pictures and videos or whatever on a 7200RPM 2TB

USAFRet

Titan
A hybrid (small SSD space + HDD) is pretty much useless for pics and videos....basic user data.
Unless you're watching the same movie over and over, anything new is read at regular HDD speed.

Solution
May 2, 2021
What do you use this system for?

The system is used mostly for working with vector and raster graphics, internet browsing (I know how ridiculous it sounds but regularly 20-30 browser windows are opened with 300-400 tabs), office work and (sometimes) virtual machines.

Ferimer

Distinguished

Yah it was my bad. I didnt mean hybrid its why I edited it. For some reason i thought the Seagate Barracude 2tb was a hybrid but its 7200RPM.

USAFRet

Titan
The system is used mostly for working with vector and raster graphics, internet browsing (I know how ridiculous it sounds but regularly 20-30 browser windows are opened with 300-400 tabs) and office work.
For that use, no difference in those 2 drives.
All that use relies on CPU and RAM.

Even a good quality SATA III SSD would be indistinguishable.

what you are seeing is that the WD is better lol. When its full it still reads at a faster rate than the Samsung.

No argument there. Arguably a larger and faster SLC cache (980) may be useful for some, but these drives are otherwise comparable, what I don't like is how reliant the 980 is on HMB (while the SN550 doesn't need it at all). Samsung is targeting the space between the SN550 and Gold P31 with the 980, with the understanding that Samsung drives always cost more in relative terms.

Ferimer

Distinguished
No argument there. Arguably a larger and faster SLC cache (980) may be useful for some, but these drives are otherwise comparable, what I don't like is how reliant the 980 is on HMB (while the SN550 doesn't need it at all). Samsung is targeting the space between the SN550 and Gold P31 with the 980, with the understanding that Samsung drives always cost more in relative terms.
SO I think you have your answer. Also there tends to be a bit more problems associated with the Samsung brand. So perhaps western digital that has been making storage drives for awhile may be the better option for you.

He may be referring to the 980 PRO write caching issue, which has recently been resolved with a firmware update. I'm not aware of the issue existing with the regular 980 and considering it's based on the T7 (with new flash) - which has been out for a while - it's probably okay.

The 970 EVO Plus has some issues with temperatures and temperature reporting too, to be fair, mostly in laptops, but I wouldn't consider that a Samsung-specific thing (Crucial's P5 is notoriously hot in comparison). Their NVMe controllers have a long, reliable lineage and their flash is the best around, so I wouldn't really say they have issues, aside from the 840 EVO and more recently the 980 PRO (although such a write caching issue is not uncommon with other drives).

USAFRet

Titan
The 970 EVO Plus has some issues with temperatures and temperature reporting too, to be fair, mostly in laptops, but I wouldn't consider that a Samsung-specific thing (Crucial's P5 is notoriously hot in comparison). Their NVMe controllers have a long, reliable lineage and their flash is the best around, so I wouldn't really say they have issues, aside from the 840 EVO and more recently the 980 PRO (although such a write caching issue is not uncommon with other drives).
Yeah, the 840's had an issue. Also fixed with a firmware update.