[SOLVED] Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB SSD [HELP]

Sep 23, 2021
A few questions. First, I recently bought a Samsung 980 1TB SSD NVMe for my computer to use as a new boot drive and for program files. I also have a Crucial P2 500GB NVMe SSD that I would like to continue using as storage for now. My motherboard is the ASUS Prime Z390-A that supports 2 M.2 slots. I would like to keep using both SSD as long as the installation of both will not cause slowing on either card.
The compatibility listed in the manual is stated as such

M.2_1 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe and SATA storage devices

M.2_2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280/22110 PCIe storage devices.

These sockets support IRST.

When the M.2_1 (Socket 3) is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 2 (SATA6G_2) will be disabled.

Are both of these compatible to work on the same motherboard together without any issues? Which M.2 socket should I be using for each? Where can I find additional standoff and screws for my motherboard?

Solution
Both M.2 ports are "PCIe 3.0 x4 "

Exactly the same. You will see zero difference in either drive in either port.

For simplicity, I'd leave the OS where it is and just use the new drive for 'storage' or whatever.