Question Samsung 980 NVMe detected by BIOS, but not Windows 10

jordan.orpaz

Honorable
May 19, 2018
Hi all,

First time poster here. I've searched through various forums and troubleshooting already, but I'm still stumped (granted, I'm essentially a beginner). I just built a new rig for myself and put in my drives from my old PC into the new one with no issues. I began updating the BIOS for my motherboard (F15a) and then noticed that my Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 would suddenly disappear. I was able to get Windows to detect it after poking around in the BIOS, but I can no longer even get it to occasionally work. To clarify: the BIOS has always (and still does) detect the drive, however Windows does not. The issue seems to have came up AFTER the motherboard driver/BIOS updates. All other drives/components are detected.

CPU: AMD ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070ti
motherboard : Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite v2
SSD: Samsung 980 nvme 1Tb
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500gb
SSD: PNY 240gb SSD (SATA)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB HDD

I have tried the following:
  1. Testing both M.2 slots. The problem persists regardless of the slot (currently seated above the GPU, lanes going directly to the CPU). I have ensured that the drives are seated properly.
  2. Installing Samsung NVME drivers - I get an error saying "No NVMe device detected" (despite the BIOS seeing it).
  3. Running the hardware and repair wizards, including Windows Memory Diagnostic
  4. Installing the Samsung Magician (not detected, but the 850 EVO is).

I'm stumped at this point and this is becoming increasingly frustrating. If anyone could offer help that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!