Question Samsung 980 NVMe SSD not showing in Disk Management, but appears in both BIOS and Device Manager.

Aug 29, 2022
This is my second SSD, my first has Windows installed and other stuff, just wanted this one to expand storage. It is installed correctly and is recognized by the MOBO, also appears in device manager. I am unable to initialize it is not available in Disk Management, any ideas?

This is my second SSD, my first has Windows installed and other stuff, just wanted this one to expand storage. It is installed correctly and is recognized by the MOBO, also appears in device manager. I am unable to initialize it is not available in Disk Management, any ideas?
Is there am issue reported in Device Manager or does everything look okay?
Is this drive brand new or does it already have a Windows OS on it? If it already has a Windows OS on it, your boot Windows may be disabling access to avoid confusion.

If you're okay with wiping out the drive completely use diskpart to completely wipe the drive.

Admin command prompt - diskpart - list disk - select disk X (where X is the number of the disk you want to wipe) - list disk (make sure that the one you want to wipe has a star next to the name) - clean (once you hit enter on the clean command you can't go back - be SURE)

Aug 29, 2022
Ever
Is there am issue reported in Device Manager or does everything look okay?
Is this drive brand new or does it already have a Windows OS on it? If it already has a Windows OS on it, your boot Windows may be disabling access to avoid confusion.

If you're okay with wiping out the drive completely use diskpart to completely wipe the drive.

Admin command prompt - diskpart - list disk - select disk X (where X is the number of the disk you want to wipe) - list disk (make sure that the one you want to wipe has a star next to the name) - clean (once you hit enter on the clean command you can't go back - be SURE)
Everything looks fine in device manager. A clean wipe and reinstalling windows might be what I have to do, I’ve been working on this problem for the last two days. I’ll probably wipe it all when I get home.

Ever

Everything looks fine in device manager. A clean wipe and reinstalling windows might be what I have to do, I’ve been working on this problem for the last two days. I’ll probably wipe it all when I get home.
If the 980 still has a Windows OS on it you may have the same issue. Wipe the 980 using the method described above BEFORE you wipe and reload the boot OS.

Last edited:
It is installed correctly and is recognized by the MOBO, also appears in device manager. I am unable to initialize it is not available in Disk Management, any ideas?
Please show screenshots:
Device Manager - Disk Drives and Storage Controllers sections expanded,​
Disk Management,​
Windows Storage Spaces.​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Samsung 980 is probably in windows storage spaces.
If so, then remove 980 from storage pool and delete the pool.
After this, it should appear in Disk Management. Should be able to partition and format drive.

Aug 29, 2022
Please show screenshots:
Disk Management,​
Windows Storage Spaces.​

After this, it should appear in Disk Management. Should be able to partition and format drive.
Will do once I get home from work.

Aug 29, 2022
Please show screenshots:
Disk Management,
Windows Storage Spaces.​

980 cannot be removed from the pool.

Device Manager - View: https://imgur.com/a/T7x8N92

Disk Management - View: https://imgur.com/a/sk07Lzq

Storage Spaces - View: https://imgur.com/a/m9ZrrOL

Aug 29, 2022
Please show screenshots:
Disk Management,​
Windows Storage Spaces.​

I decided to just delete the pool and that fixed my problem, thank you for pointing me in the right direction!