[SOLVED] Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB Question

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question. Is there any reason not to go with the Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB other than cost? I'm a Samsung groupie so I'd like to go with it unless there's some super compelling reason not to like a competitor that far outperforms it. Thanks!

Solution
980 Pro is a good drive.
sn750 or sn850 good drives

Lots and lots of good drives..............

Samsung has good software and they do firmware updates (just got one for the 980 PRO). A lot of enterprises use the Samsung drives.

Good speeds you won't notice unless you move monster files though or benchmark a lot. I honestly have had great luck with SSD's even cheaper ones. 980 PRO is bit of a premium and I really think your better off getting a 2TB non pro for the same price.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks lvt. Also I read on Samsung's official product page the following review. Any merit to this claim?

samsung had the recipe for success by keeping their flash as mlc while everyone else went to tlc or "3d nand". this gave them the edge in speed for years. and with the fact that the average home user wont use up the number of writes on an mlc flash drive inside of 10 years (i actually have an old vertex 2 from 2009 still going just fine) they decided they could afford to switch to the same tactic that everyone else is using of some slc cache and then very slow tlc or even more than 3 layer flash for final storage.

will you get the advertised speeds? yes for a while till you run out of that single layer cache.

will i recommend it to a friend? no! do your research and find out which other pcie4.0 m.2 drives beat this one and buy literally any of those.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
980 Pro is a good drive.
sn750 or sn850 good drives

Lots and lots of good drives..............

Samsung has good software and they do firmware updates (just got one for the 980 PRO). A lot of enterprises use the Samsung drives.

Good speeds you won't notice unless you move monster files though or benchmark a lot. I honestly have had great luck with SSD's even cheaper ones. 980 PRO is bit of a premium and I really think your better off getting a 2TB non pro for the same price.

Solution