Question Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Nvme failed to boot

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
So, it's an interesting situation, I consider myself fairly good with computers, and I am thinking the nvme controller has failed, but I don't know enough about it to diagnose. I woke up a few days ago and my computer screens were blank, my custom lighting was not normal, indicating that it was not booted into windows that had my custom lighting config. I reset and after another failed boot, I went to bios and saw that my Samsung 980 pro was not listed under boot devices.
I checked Sata settings under advanced and saw that the M.2_1 was not present. I disabled secure boot and enabled CSM, Secure boot made no difference but
CSM made the drive show under boot options, but when I went to boot it, I got the "insert Boot media" prompt. I went back to SATA settings and noticed that
M.2_1 was still not present, even tho it was listed under boot options. I booted from an alternate windows drive and the drive shows up as read only in disk
management, which meant I couldn't change ownership to back up files directly. I could view the file system up to the point of permission issues. Back in BIOS
I ran a check on the Samsung 980 which allowed Controller check and Namespace check, I just tried the controller check and the bios froze. I am currently running a live boot of Ubuntu attempting to save some of the files to limited success. After I get my files saved, I will try formatting the drive and such, but
any help would be appreciated, maybe I can flash some firmware to get it running again?

System info:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X
MB: ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000W, BN644
Storage: Multiple HDDs, 2 SATA SSDs, and the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Nvme M.2 Gen4

Let me know if any other info is needed, thank you for the help.

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
If the drive has really failed, then there's no fixing it.
You can only recover your data.

I hope not, but it should still be under warranty if it is. I would expect better from Samsung tho. Thank you for the quick reply, I will post the Magician results when I get a chance to run it, I have to wait until ubuntu finishes it's attempt at copying the data first. The other problem is the other windows install I have is from my old machine, as such the drivers are all wrong, windows did a decent job of getting the generics filled in, but it still runs very poor, hopefully I can get it working enough to run the check.

TRENDING THREADS