Question Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD

Sep 3, 2022
I figured to reach out here as the community seems to be smarter than I am. Essentially I'm running into an annoying problem with a new build I've just completed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra Lite Rev 1.0
BIOS Version: F2
Storage: 2 x Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0B)

This is regarding my storage, both drives have been installed through the two m2 slots on the motherboard and are both brand new.

So initially when launching the computer and going into the bios, I can see both storage drives I have. During Windows 11 Installation I can also see both storage drives (represented as Drive 0 and Drive 1). After formatting and installing windows 11, both drives are still visible. However this is where the first weird thing happens. Drive 1 is recognized as an external drive that can be ejected through windows. The drive is visible in disk management and device manager and I can format it etc, the only problem is that its recognized as an external drive that can be ejected by the user.
So now I begin to install drivers that are listed for the motherboard through the Gigabyte site (https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherb...LITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset). As I disabled the automatic download of Gigabyte App Centre due to its many problems documented and discussed online.

When I install the Driver for Chipset, Intel INF installation version [10.1.18836.8283], Drive 1 instantly disappears from both disk management and device manager, even though it was formatted and in use. I try to see if the drive is visible through cmd using diskpart and list disk but it is also no longer visible. Only Drive 0 remains. When I return to the bios both drives are still visible. Installing the rest of the drivers keeps the same output. I feel that there is something wrong with the current revision of the driver and I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the setup I've done or if its bug in the driver, or hardware problem.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've gone through several clean installs of windows and rebuilds of the computer to make sure nothing else is wrong. The only consistent thing is this driver which makes me confident the issue is software related and not hardware. And currently this makes the second m2 slot unusable for me.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Update 1:
I updated my bios to F2 from F1 and it intially reappeared. However after a short while whithout doing anything in particular the drive disappeared. It seems when I shut down and turn on the computer the drive will initially be there, then after a minute or so it disappears again. In device manager the drive will appear in the storage controller section, but nowhere else, e.g. disk drives like my other working ssd.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try reflashing the BIOS to F2, then clear the CMOS, remove one of the M.2 drives(the one where the OS isn't installed on) and then reinstall the OS. Speaking of OS, where did you source the installer from? As for your drivers, manually download the drivers and have them on a thumb drive. Once you've installed all drivers in an elevated command(as well as Samsung's Magician app), then shut down, replace the missing SSD and then reboot.

See if that helps.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022
Thanks for the quick replies! I've done so many installs of windows now but not one with only 1 drive. I'll try and follow all your steps and get back to you. Thanks Lutfij and USAFRet!

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the quick replies! I've done so many installs of windows now but not one with only 1 drive. I'll try and follow all your steps and get back to you. Thanks Lutfij and USAFRet!
Thusly:

Sep 3, 2022

Try reflashing the BISO to F2, then clear the CMOS, remove one of the <.2 drives(the one where the OS isn't installed on) and then reinstall the OS. Speaking of OS, where did you source the installer from? As for your drivers, manually download the drivers and have them on a thumb drive. Once you've installed all drivers in an elevated command(as well as Samsung's Magician app), then shut down, replace the missing SSD and then reboot.

See if that helps.
Ah and I forgot to mention that I sourced the installer for the OS here:
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Using the Windows 11 Installation Media

Thanks for the guide also USAFRet.

Sep 3, 2022
Just wanted to give a brief update. I've not tried out the steps above yet as I wanted to see if there was anything else I could do.

So to reiterate, sometimes when I boot the computer for the first time, drive 1 appears and is useable. However after about a minute the drive will disappear from both disk management and device manager again. And trying to interact with the drive before I rescan the disks gives the error 0x800701B1: A device which does not exist was specified. Sometimes when I reinstall the chipset driver as I've tried to debug it further, it will also prompt my drive 1 back into life, but again only for a minute or so. I've been able to run the full extended, controller namespace test in the bios on drive 1 which it passed. I've also been able to run CrystalDisk on drive 1 in the short window when it sometimes works to find its health at 100%.

Oddly in device manager I can always see in the storage controllers tab, both drives Standard NVM Express Controller, however once drive 1 disappears it will give me the following error on the properties tab for that drive:
This device cannot start. (Code 10) - An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.

So again because the drive is always visible in the BIOS, it makes me believe the chipset driver is at fault.

I will now follow through Lutfij's steps.

Sep 3, 2022

Try reflashing the BIOS to F2, then clear the CMOS, remove one of the M.2 drives(the one where the OS isn't installed on) and then reinstall the OS. Speaking of OS, where did you source the installer from? As for your drivers, manually download the drivers and have them on a thumb drive. Once you've installed all drivers in an elevated command(as well as Samsung's Magician app), then shut down, replace the missing SSD and then reboot.

See if that helps.

So I tried going through these steps, and when leaving one M.2 drive in the computer I decided to switch out the one that had the OS installed with the one that was disappearing. Initially all looked okay, but then during the windows installation it blue screened, and it seems to disappear during the installation too. Including through the BIOS at times, at this point it looks like the problem is with the drive so I will try and replace it. Hopefully it is a problem with the drive as that seems easy to resolve at this point.

Sep 3, 2022
Yeah I wish I had a donor system easily available to me, but while I go through a replacement process I'll see if I can find one to 100% confirm it. Will update regardless