Question Samsung 980 Pro SSD issues ?

stryker351982

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Found a good deal on a 980 pro 500gb, purchased it, installed the cloning software and cloned current drive. Installed Samsung software only to find out there is no driver for the 980 pro like other drives have. Software is showing red dot stating "Install Samsung driver or Windows driver". Software also shows no drive info and just says none supported.

First time I have had any of these issues with a Samsung drive or nvme. Am I doing something wrong or what's the deal ?

Lutfij

Titan
purchased it installed the cloning software and cloned current drive
That's your first problem. You're advised to reinstall your OS, once you've backed up all critical content from your older OS drive. If you're on Windwos 8 or aobve, you can use Windwos Media Creation Tools to fabricate your bootable USB installer for your OS.

We will need a little more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the version for your motherboard's BIOS.

USAFRet

Titan
Found a good deal on a 980 pro 500gb purchased it installed the cloning software and cloned current drive. Installed Samsung software only to find out there is no driver for the 980 pro like other drives have. Software is showing red dot stating install Samsung driver or windows driver. Software also shows no drive info and just says none supported.

First time I have had any of these issues with a Samsung drive or nvme. Am I doing something wrong or what's the deal.
What motherboard is this on?

(cloning is not necessarily a problem)

Never had an issue with cloning either, this was swapped into an acer predator laptop, no sure of the MB make/model

Reason he's asking is that some M.2 slots have limited compatibility. By default NVMe drives do not require a driver (Microsoft provides one) and the 980 PRO does not need the Samsung driver. Of course, sometimes Intel RST takes over storage preventing pass-through on the driver anyway. Even some old laptops may support PCIe SSDs but only with AHCI and not NVMe. So it's important to know the precise model. You should be able to determine this with software like HWiNFO64.

Found a good deal on a 980 pro 500gb purchased it installed the cloning software and cloned current drive. Installed Samsung software only to find out there is no driver for the 980 pro like other drives have. Software is showing red dot stating install Samsung driver or windows driver. Software also shows no drive info and just says none supported.

First time I have had any of these issues with a Samsung drive or nvme. Am I doing something wrong or what's the deal.
Other than the samsung software having a problem does the ssd work?
Can you boot? Run stuff?
Was this a replacement for the OS drive or a data drive?

stryker351982

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Other than the samsung software having a problem does the ssd work?
Can you boot? Run stuff?
Was this a replacement for the OS drive or a data drive?

No other issues. system boots, everything runs fine, this was a replacement for the OEM nvme OS drive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H
Motherboard: CML QX50_CMS
Ram: 32gb DDR4 SDRAM Dual-Channel G Skill DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 Pro
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
PSU:
Chassis: Acer Predator Helios PH315-53-72XD
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19043.1110 (21H1)

No other issues. system boots, everything runs fine, this was a replacement for the OEM nvme OS drive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H
Motherboard: CML QX50_CMS
Ram: 32gb DDR4 SDRAM Dual-Channel G Skill DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 Pro
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
PSU:
Chassis: Acer Predator Helios PH315-53-72XD
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19043.1110 (21H1)
Looks like your running off the stock windows nvme driver.
I would not worry about it if everything works.

Nov 23, 2021
Found a good deal on a 980 pro 500gb, purchased it, installed the cloning software and cloned current drive. Installed Samsung software only to find out there is no driver for the 980 pro like other drives have. Software is showing red dot stating "Install Samsung driver or Windows driver". Software also shows no drive info and just says none supported.

First time I have had any of these issues with a Samsung drive or nvme. Am I doing something wrong or what's the deal ?

I'm in a similar boat. I just built a machine using Samsung 980 PRO drives. On the recommendation of Carey Holzman (YouTuber) I checked my device manager and saw that Microsoft drivers were installed. I went to the Samsung Magician tool page and saw drivers listed for several Samsung devices (e.g. 970, 970 PRO, etc.) but the 980 series was not included in Samsung's notes for this Driver update. I tried to install the driver anyways, but the Samsung software reported: Samsung NVM Express device is not detected.
Several possibilities:
1. The Samsung Drivers are no longer needed for the 980 Series (some have suggested this. Indeed everything seems to be working with the Microsoft default driver.)
or
2. The driver install notes that Samsung provides has the following caveats:
"However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System cannot load the driver under following
BIOS configurations where
* PCH Storage Configuration is set to “Raid Mode, or
* NAND/Storage Remapping option*” is enabled.
* The option name can be different according to M/B manufacturers.
Please refer to your M/B manual."
3. Some have suggested that the latest Windows update broke something regards Samsung drives.
I'll need to check this. second possibility - but not too concerned since all seems to be working.

For anyone interested - my config is as follows:

Z590 AORUS Master w. latest BIOS mobo
i5 11600K processor
32 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro- latest updates as of 23 Nov. 2021