• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question Samsung 980 PRO unmounting when game is run.

Montresor

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Hi guys, I'm having a doozy of a problem with my new NVMe SSD. I have a Maximus Hero X wifi mobo, with an 8700k, 3090 and 32gb of DDR 3200. Have an older 1tb samsung mzvlw1t0hmlh-000l7 for my boot drive in the m.2_1 slot, a couple of older SSDs on SATA 3 and 4, and the new 2TB 980 Pro in the m.2_2 slot. I've tried two different 980 Pro NVMe drives and they are both having the problem... which is:

When I load up a game (steam or origin) that's installed on the 980 Pro, it works for a while but then stops responding. After force quitting, the drive is not responsive. HW Monitor can still see the drive's % capacity but not the thermal readings. I have to reboot to get it to mount and function again.

If I load optimal defaults in BIOS it seems to work, I've tried only changing a few settings but I believe it might be putting the m.2_2 slot into 4x mode that is causing this. Am I out of PCI bandwidth?

Please help, I'm at my wit's end.

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? Can you open up Samsung's Magician app and see if your SSD('s) is (are) pending any firmware updates? What version of Windows 10 are you on?

Montresor

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? Can you open up Samsung's Magician app and see if your SSD('s) is (are) pending any firmware updates? What version of Windows 10 are you on?
Thank you for the reply!

Firmware was updated after installation, it's at 3B2QGXA7 and Magician indicating it's up to date.
Win 10 64 21H1 build 19043.1151
BIOS 2603 (but it had the sam problem on the last BIOS version as well)

So 2 new bits of information:

1) Turns out the 4x is the problem. Runs fine on 2x. Why would 4x be doing this?

2) It seems to be happening on games with Denuvo. RE VIllage, DMC 5, AC Valhalla and Fenyx Rising specifically.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS