[SOLVED] Samsung 980 Pro vs 970 Evo Plus on PCIe 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Hi, i have the 970 Evo Plus on a very powerful Pcie 3.0 system (RAM Corsair 32GB 4000mhz, I7 Extreme edition 7820X, Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Apex)
I want to turn it faster, with this hardware the one thing i can replace to improve in terms of price/performance its the SSD because i can get the 980 Pro 500GB for about 100€...
Will my PCIe 3.0 system improve in performance with the PCIe 4.0 Samsung 980 Pro?
I see some comparative on youtube between the two in the crystal disk mark app and the speed on PCIe 3.0 its about the same on the two drives...
Thanks

Solution
The 980 PRO has newer flash which has a bit better tR/tPROG (lower read/write latency) and a different SLC caching scheme, plus higher TLC speeds (from the tPROG). However, you'd generally be getting the 980 PRO for its bursty sequentials on Gen4, as it doesn't really add too terribly much otherwise.
The 980 PRO has newer flash which has a bit better tR/tPROG (lower read/write latency) and a different SLC caching scheme, plus higher TLC speeds (from the tPROG). However, you'd generally be getting the 980 PRO for its bursty sequentials on Gen4, as it doesn't really add too terribly much otherwise.

Solution
Hi, i have the 970 Evo Plus on a very powerful Pcie 3.0 system (RAM Corsair 32GB 4000mhz, I7 Extreme edition 7820X, Motherboard Asus Rampage VI Apex)
I want to turn it faster, with this hardware the one thing i can replace to improve in terms of price/performance its the SSD because i can get the 980 Pro 500GB for about 100€...
Will my PCIe 3.0 system improve in performance with the PCIe 4.0 Samsung 980 Pro?
I see some comparative on youtube between the two in the crystal disk mark app and the speed on PCIe 3.0 its about the same on the two drives...
Thanks
Short answer.....no.
Your still limited by the pcie3 bus.

Even if you had a pcie4 bus you would not see much of a diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.