Question Samsung 980 Pro WHEA errors ?

Feb 3, 2022
Good all,

I changed my motherboard from a MSI MAG B550M Mortar to a ROG Strix B550-A gaming and since yesterday that I get a BSOD with minidump at 0% and it restarts on BIOS and the SSD does not show up.

The Pc was on all day since 8am because I was working (word, email, PP, online tools of the company for reports) at the end of the day played for around 1hour and when I came back and was logging into my work email I had this issue.

I've switched the 980 pro to the M.2_2 slot and still it doesn't show up and I can't get into the system to do any tests since it's my boot drive.

I thought it could be the motherboard but my other SSD (Firecuda 510) is recognised on both M.2 slots. I've installed Windows on the Firecuda and so far I haven't had any issues.

The Samsung SSD simply stopped showing up.

Bios is the latest version and I had all my drivers up to date.

System was build in the beginning of this month.

I'm planning to contact the company from where iI bought the Samsung 980 pro and return it. I dont see the issue coming form some where else. Any ideas?

CPU: 5600x
GPU: gigabyte 3080Ti vision
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro 32gb 3200mhz
Board: Strix B550-A Gaming
SSD boot: Samsung 980 pro 500gb
SSD games: Firecuda 510 1Tb
PSU: corsair rmx 850w

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the SSD stopped showing in BIOS on the new board, you might want to rule out the SSD being dead altogether by trying it out on another motherboard(courtesy of a friend or neighbor) who has a board with an available M.2 slot that accepts an M.2 PCIe 4 SSD. As for your current platform, you could try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the board and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power from the board(provided you didn't disconnect the front panel wires while troubleshooting). Replace CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

See if that helps.

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If you're using a 2x16GB ram kit, which slots are you populating on the motherboard?

Feb 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the SSD stopped showing in BIOS on the new board, you might want to rule out the SSD being dead altogether by trying it out on another motherboard(courtesy of a friend or neighbor) who has a board with an available M.2 slot that accepts an M.2 PCIe 4 SSD. As for your current platform, you could try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the board and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power from the board(provided you didn't disconnect the front panel wires while troubleshooting). Replace CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

See if that helps.

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If you're using a 2x16GB ram kit, which slots are you populating on the motherboard?

Lutfij, thank you very much for your reply.
I have a new update and will run through what I did. I have the BIOS version 2423 and I'm using kists of 2x8xg ram.

When this happen I tried the 980 on the gen 3 slot and the 510 on the gen 4 slot and recognised both SSDs. Decided to swap them back and everything was working but after 20/30 minutes BSOD with the PC just in windows screen and same issue all over again. Before the BSOD with HWmonitor I noticed the 980 was sitting at 47c on iddle, what was around +14c than what I normally see it running on iddle.

Updated the BIOS to the latest version and only the 510 was showing up on the BIOS so I simply removed the 980 and went ahead with a fresh OS installation on the 510.

I still have my previous MB and I was planning to just put it all together again to rule out the SSD being dead but instead decided to try the SSD again on the new board and it was working and manage to boot the system from it.

Since then I updated the firmware of the 980 and clonned the disk to another SSD without a problem and the system has been running perfectly while working and gaming.
Did all the test I could to check errors, memtest too and nothing is showing up.

The only thing I can pinpoint is to the 980 pro having an older firmware. Correct me if I'm wrong.