Question Samsung 990 PRO 2TB SSD unusual benchmarks

X-J

Jan 18, 2023
I bought a SAMSUNG 990 PRO (2TB) SSD and I am getting some UNUSUAL BENCHMARKS.

Its basically a NEW BUILD.

If anyone has any idea why I am getting such unusual results PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks!

BENCHMARK RESULTS LINK

https://pdfhost.io/v/ObMzIgZRQ_Samsung990PROPCIe40NVMeSSD2TBBENCHMARKS2022
(CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, HDTune, Samsung Magician, Cinebench R23)

ATTO BENCHMARK 1/18/23
https://ibb.co/W66rjDQ

HARD DISK SENTINEL TEMP PROFILE 1/18/23
https://ibb.co/RhTjW0m

SYSTEM:
Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB (Windows 10 Pro x64 - OS)
ASUS ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI - MOBO
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X - CPU
Noctua NT-H1 - Thermal Paste
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 - AIR COOLER
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 5600MHz C36 Memory Kit (CMK32GX5M2B5600C36)
* running at 4800MHZ
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER GAMING X (4GB, 128bit) - GFX
Corsair RM750i - PSU

SSD / HDD SETUP:
MAIN SSD w/ OS > Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB > NVMe M.2 Slot #1
DATA DRIVES > (2x) WD 4TB GOLD HDD in S/W RAID 1 > SATA Ports 1 & 2
DATA DRIVES > (2x) WD 10TB GOLD HDD in S/W RAID 1 > SATA Ports 3 & 4
OLD MAIN SSD > Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (SATA) > SATA Port on PCIe/SATA Adapter Card (Syba/Iocrest) > NVMe M.2 Slot #2
VIRTUAL MACHINES > Samsung 860 EVO 2TB (SATA) > SATA Port on PCIe/SATA Adapter Card (Syba/Iocrest) > NVMe M.2 Slot #2

NOTES:
The only thing that I have had a PROBLEM WITH is the RAM. I got a BSOD when trying to run it @ 5600MHz (DOCP) which it is rated for. It RUNS FINE @ 4800MHz and WINDOWS MEMORY TEST Tests OK. There were FIRMWARE UPDATES for both the ASUS PROART Motherboard and the SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD which I have installed. I havent tried OC'ing the RAM again, but wil eventually.
The SAMSUNG 990 PRO definitely RUNS HOT. I included a TEMP PROFILE FYI. The SPEC says it can go up to 70 C.

X-J

Jan 18, 2023
What do you see as "unusual"? Please be specific.

Great question.

I expect that both Read & Write Speeds to Track closely with one another and NOT be so WILDLY all over the place. Meaning there should NOT be such a dramatic difference between Read & Write speeds to the degree I am seeing.
They should go up together and then plateau and then maybe fall-off somewhat or stay the same.

I included the ATTO Benchmarks for my Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD (SATA) because that is what I expect what a Normal SSD benchmark should look like.

As a Consumer I expect some consistency especially with regard to HDD's and SSD's. NOT the erratic results I am getting.

Storage systems (HDD's and SSD's) shouldn't just have a FAST CrystalDiskMark score. They should be consistent across a Wide Variety of Test Points; in this case file sizes and also queue depths.

This is my first NVMe M.2 SSD so I dont have a lot of experience with them, but I know when something smells rotten in Denmark or is it Korea. :-]

The Samsung 990 Pro SSD might be fine and it is just something in my system skewing the results.

It's a New Build, so people like myself and DIY builders are nothing but glorified BETA TESTERS ... until they iron-out all the bugs.

If anyone has anyideas I'm all ears. I appreciate any input.

As always TIA.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
Try doing the speed tests without the SSD as the C drive
I'm curious to see if it changes
Everywhere I have seen the 990 Pro SSD's seem to be having troubles compared to other Samsung SSD lines such as the QVO and EVO which work great from what I've seen

USAFRet

Titan
Try doing the speed tests without the SSD as the C drive
I'm curious to see if it changes
Everywhere I have seen the 990 Pro SSD's seem to be having troubles compared to other Samsung SSD lines such as the QVO and EVO which work great from what I've seen
That would be quite hard to do. It would require a whole system reconfiguration.

I see nothing wrong with the results posted above.

990 Pro comparing badly with which specific Samsung SSDs?
970 or 980?

This is my 980 Pro tests:
UVijCRk.jpg

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023

USAFRet

Titan
Not really. Just format the drive and set another drive as the C drive and set the 990 as the D drive pretty simple

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG Electronics 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM) : Electronics
" Just format the drive and set another drive as the C drive"
So a whole new OS install, and all the applications, etc, etc.
WHY?

The 870 EVO is a SATA III drive.
Totally different protocol and 'speeds'.
The 980 and 990 is, in the sequential level, 10x faster than the 870 EVO.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
So a whole new OS install, and all the applications, etc, etc.
WHY?
So he can test it to make sure the drive is working as intended

The 870 EVO is a SATA III drive.
Totally different protocol and 'speeds'.
The 980 and 990 is, in the sequential level, 10x faster than the 870 EVO.
Yeah I understand but hes concerned about the consistency, not the speed so that does not apply here

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I understand but hes concerned about the consistency, not the speed so that does not apply here
Even according to the specs from Samsung, Read and Write are different.

----------------------
Sequential Read Speed
Up to 7,450 MB/s

Sequential Write Speed
Up to 6,900 MB/s
----------------------

USAFRet

Titan
Meaning there should NOT be such a dramatic difference between Read & Write speeds to the degree I am seeing.
In your CDM and Samsung Magician results, the differences track almost exactly the difference between the best case numbers from the Samsung spec sheet.

They are NOT supposed to be the same.
Read is a little bit faster than Write.

There is nothing wrong here, nothing to "fix".

X-J

Jan 18, 2023
CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4c
View: https://imgur.com/a/06xVnNw

@USAFRet > Thanks for your CDM
It seems to be comparable.
The READ speeds really TANK at the RND4k Q1T1 which I find very ODD.

@drivinfast247
The SSD was fully trimmed.
Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Would love to see someone elses ATTO Disk Benchmark Results.

Found some ATTO Benchmarks at the review site below.
Its in a different format, but they have lots of benchmarks.

HotHardware Review
https://hothardware.com/reviews/samsung-ssd-990-pro-pcie-gen-4-review?utm_source=pocket_reader

Ultimately I want to know if I got a LEMON or if there is some Weirdness going on with my setup. Like some component that is either Flaky or isn't Playing Nice with the others.

I'm tempted to get some more RAM and swap it out what's in there now. I keep reading posts that Ryzen 4 CPU's prefer 6000MHz RAM. I'm not sure what BRAND they prefer. Its just a hunch and I may be way off.

Ive got til the end of the month when the RMA period runs out.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS