News Samsung 990 Pro Is the Center of a PCIe Mystery

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
All I know is that I will only buy Samsung drives from now on...primarily the Pro series.

My Sabrent 4.0 just flat out died last month...and I actually bought 2 of them a few years back for my 5900X + Aorus Master build. Meanwhile I've got four 850s in other builds that have been going strong for years!!!!

Then I just recently bought a 2TB 980 pro (when they went on sale) for my Razer 14 and the thing is a super efficient, low heat powerhouse due to enabling power save mode via Samsung Magician.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
All I know is that I will only buy Samsung drives from now on...primarily the Pro series.

My Sabrent 4.0 just flat out died last month...and I actually bought 2 of them a few years back
I have no experience with Sabrent, when I needed a cheap drive I picked Intel 660p/670p. I currently only buy WD, Hynix, or Intel(also now Hynix...). The problem with Sabrent is they are a 3rd party ssd supplier ( like Kingston and every other 3rd party brand). They buy NAND in bulk and add an off the shelf controller resulting in middle of road performance and poor reliability/warranty support compared to the vertical integrated 1st party. First party has the benefit of in house NAND and custom controllers which usually are miles ahead. I would suggest broadening your horizon and checking out the latest Micron, Hynix, Kioxia have before you grab your next Samsung SSD.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
But, Samsung could outsource to Silicon Motion for a viable PCIe 5.0 M.2 solution for its 990 Pro.
Genuine curiosity: when (if ever) was the last time Samsung used a controller that wasn't their own?

edit: Just a thought - maybe the 990 Pro will be an MLC drive.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Samsung should do wonders for this SSD. Can't expect it to be mlc like pro 970 but it should definitely be worth getting.

Honestly i should have bought 970 evo instead of Kingston A2000...oh well. Atleast I'm loving my 870 evo so far

jackt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
All I care is that the power consumption stop rising ! Storage speed is important but the latest ssd are eating too much ! Look like pcie3 overclocked...

And the price of course...

We absolutely, kind of, sort of, well, a little bit, I mean there IS at least a shred of credibility in what we are saying because (And we swear) we've read it someplace else, but, for sure, we know this to be true. But just in case it isn't, fine print. (Cue the music. Dumb, da, dumb, dumb, dumb.)

jEEWdcL.jpg

Aug 20, 2022
When I was working for a not-Samsung SSD manufacturer pre pcie4 release, when we enabled the pcie4 IP block on our controller it just blew through our power and thermal budgets like it thought it was an Intel CPU.

In the end we had to disable it and sell it as a pcie3 device while we waited for the block to be fettled into shape for our gen2 chip. Maybe something similar happened here. These fast busses are power hungry.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
There's no way I'm buying Samsung NVMe in the future.
Have a few brand here and the 1TB 970Pro I got recently for my spare system is so crap .

It register transfer speed / IO just fine on benchmark but it's the slowest vs WD, Sabrenet,HP when installing apps with small files or read/write small files. Steam takes x3 the time to start on this thing.

It drops 1Mb/s even KB/s with small files:mad:. Even my SATA HDD is faster here.

stuff and nonesense

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020
There's no way I'm buying Samsung NVMe in the future.
Have a few brand here and the 1TB 970Pro I got recently for my spare system is so crap .

It register transfer speed / IO just fine on benchmark but it's the slowest vs WD, Sabrenet,HP when installing apps with small files or read/write small files. Steam takes x3 the time to start on this thing.

It drops 1Mb/s even KB/s with small files:mad:. Even my SATA HDD is faster here.

If the 970pro is going spare send it to me… happy to have 2bit MLC … 980 series with TLC (even though Samsung advertise it as MLC) is a downgrade even if it’s quicker.

TRENDING THREADS