Discussion Samsung 990 Pro rips but cooks

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Just upped my Legion Go's 2TB SK Hynix Platinum to a Samsung 990 Pro 4TB
This thing is stupid fast but damn it runs hot. HWInfo64 showed Temp 1 and Temp 2 as acceptable but Temp 3 which nobody seems to know exactly what it is being measured by was at 106c, no bueno.

Put a heatsink on that most importantly (well not most but a must) that still fits the carrying case.
Temp 1 and 2 are down 10c around upper 50's under load but Temp 3 still maxed at 69c (nice) or 79c. Can't remember and too tired to boot it up just to look at the screenshot.

Using quality pads and it's basically open air now. Bottom panel that used to cover the drive now has the heatsink protruding so it's getting plenty of air.

Is Temp 3 anything to even worry about? I already put it in Eco Mode in Magician (still pull ~7000Mbps Read and Write. Magician also doesn't seem to see or care about that sensor when reporting in the dashboard. Should I just drop worrying about it? I'm accustomed to my big AF case desktop case that's basically a wind tunnel and runs like a refrigerator and am not all that familiar with a more cramped/open-air (but again the heatsink sticks out a good 10mm out the back) layout.

Edit; Supposedly the ASCII Controller which runs typically runs hotter than the rest of the drive? Even at 79c for the that controller seems comparatively low for this drive to what others report. TechPowerup reports high temps with the 2TB model and the date sheet only shows the 1 and 2TB models and generically says max temp 70c but just says "S.M.A.R.T" which doesn't measure the hottest spot but rather Temp 1 and/or Temp 2

61LNeZdMuhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Just upped my Legion Go's 2TB SK Hynix Platinum to a Samsung 990 Pro 4TB
This thing is stupid fast but damn it runs hot. HWInfo64 showed Temp 1 and Temp 2 as acceptable but Temp 3 which nobody seems to know exactly what it is being measured by was at 106c, no bueno.

Put a heatsink on that most importantly (well not most but a must) that still fits the carrying case.
Temp 1 and 2 are down 10c around upper 50's under load but Temp 3 still maxed at 69c (nice) or 79c. Can't remember and too tired to boot it up just to look at the screenshot.

Using quality pads and it's basically open air now. Bottom panel that used to cover the drive now has the heatsink protruding so it's getting plenty of air.

Is Temp 3 anything to even worry about? I already put it in Eco Mode in Magician (still pull ~7000Mbps Read and Write. Magician also doesn't seem to see or care about that sensor when reporting in the dashboard. Should I just drop worrying about it? I'm accustomed to my big AF case desktop case that's basically a wind tunnel and runs like a refrigerator and am not all that familiar with a more cramped/open-air (but again the heatsink sticks out a good 10mm out the back) layout.

Edit; Supposedly the ASCII Controller which runs typically runs hotter than the rest of the drive? Even at 79c for the that controller seems comparatively low for this drive to what others report.

61LNeZdMuhL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
It will just throttle the speed if over 79c controller temperature, memory chips(s) itself doesn't mind higher temps. Heat exchange/cooler will not do much unless exposed to airflow.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
It will just throttle the speed if over 79c controller temperature, memory chips(s) itself doesn't mind higher temps. Heat exchange/cooler will not do much unless exposed to airflow.
I'm debating cutting the shell to accommodate a slightly bigger heatsink that has two heat pipes (and does actually make a difference from testing others drives) but if it is throttling it's not doing so by much.
Like i mentioned Cinemark or whatever it's called (my brain is fried, should have been asleep hours ago) in NVME benchmark mixed real-life was hitting 7000 and 6000 respectively down the row (except the last category for each (random 4k?) 1GB chunks set to 9 consecutive runs and it maintained those speeds and didn't seem to go over that temp.

The more I'm reading about the 990 Pro the more I see either hate or reports the are ovens.

Today is my last return window. I can get a Crucial P3 Plus or a WD850x. Problem with the WD850x is its double sided. Should I opt for the P3 Plus? Speed really isnt, no pun intended, crucial for a handheld like this.