Samsung: A 2GHz Smartphone by 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
it is interesting how the exponential growth of handset/mobile devices processors are greater than their desktop counterpart.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Not true, the heat will be dissipated by the case. And don't you worry, there won't be much heat. My 1Ghz CPU barely heats up the back of the case in 1 spot when i use the internet with 3g on, in games and when it plays movies it is cooler.

Also do you see the current desktop 2Ghz CPU's heat up at all? Same thing will happen with the mobile CPU's, faster and better architectures with less heat.

Also a 1Ghz dual core CPU uses less battery than a single core CPU at the same speed meaning less heat and more efficiency. You don't really think that the new SGS II with it's dual core 1.2Ghz cpu will last 3 ores powered, no?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I never ran out of RAM(android 2.1). That problem was on HTC. If you had problems with RAM use android 2.2 because it is said that the issue is fixed. :)

cdamccann

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ionut19[/nom]I never ran out of RAM(android 2.1). That problem was on HTC. If you had problems with RAM use android 2.2 because it is said that the issue is fixed.[/citation]

Also GPS issues. I've gone through four Captivates to finally find one that gets descent satellite reception.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
2GHz dual core would be epic, especially if they gave you the option of down-clocking to 1GHz unless your playing something that requires that speed. For example browsing the web or watching a you tub vid doesn't need it tho fire up a game or a 1080p vid might. Think of the battery savings even some older phones used downclocked versions.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]2GHz dual core would be epic, especially if they gave you the option of down-clocking to 1GHz unless your playing something that requires that speed. For example browsing the web or watching a you tub vid doesn't need it tho fire up a game or a 1080p vid might. Think of the battery savings even some older phones used downclocked versions.[/citation]

Most "smart" smartphones under clock/volt in light loads already to save power and step up when needed

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Seriously Windows XP is more friendly with it's ram than Android 2.2 on the SGS..And Windows XP is a fully blown OS..[/citation]

You do know that Linux is a fully blown OS? Android is Linux based with a "window" layer. Linux as an OS is far more capable then XP. I don't know if the Android Window system is superior to XP since I don't use Android.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]Battery Life.Nuff' said.[/citation]

Amen!
The problem is that tech nerds love megapixels, mhz, bluetooth 3.0, WifiSuperDuper and other buzzwords. They think that you are more intelligent for buying a 1.2ghz Samsung instead of an 1ghz Iphone. They belive that people are stupid because they don't love the 200 extra mhz.

Most techies does not understand that the hardware is irrelevant, it is the software that is important. Elegant software solutions like Ios multitasking. It is not fun to have a new Andoid phone with widgets and other stuff that 3 hours batterie time. Have to buy battery saving apps to get the battery time up to 12 hours. Turn of the stupid widgets that brightens the home screen 24/7.

This is the reason why I love my original Ipad. 11 hours of battery if I use it all the time. Over 5 days if I listen to ACC/MP3. 30 days standby. I want my phone to have the same capabilities.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
BTW. There will be quad core mobile phones next year. Todays ARMs are manufactured 40-45nm. 2012 we will se 28-32nm quad core ARMs that uses the same energy as todays dual core ARMs.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Still angry at Samsung about their original Galaxy S i9000 (RAM issue)Nuff said.[/citation]
Seriously screw you with your ram complaints on every article about the SGS. If you looked around a bit you can see that the ram that is not visible is allocated to the kernel and drivers (or something like that). The ram you see is less than 512 because of that. The ram that you see is allocated to the apps and android system. If you look you'll find that other android phones might show more ram, but then also appear as if they are using more. You'll also find that people that make the kernels (3rd party) can squeeze more out of the ram, but at costs.

So stop your complaining before I slap you. I sware everytime I see your comment about the SGS's ram issues I want to slap you. WHY are you one of the few people on the net that actually complains about this?!

Anyways on topic, looks like I might actually skip the SGSII and go for whatever samsung can get with that 2Ghz CPU :D

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Article should say Galaxy S II as it is a totally new phone and not simply a refresh model.
They do have a Galaxy S 1.5 GHz refresh coming out however.
And SII will also use Tegra 2 as well.

[citation][nom]cdamccann[/nom]Also GPS issues. I've gone through four Captivates to finally find one that gets descent satellite reception.[/citation]
Pick from any of the 15+ roms available on XDA; not a problem with my GPS anymore, locks with 8-10 sats in 5-10 seconds and very good tracking.
Your phone is bootlaoder-unlocked, might as well use the feature.
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Still angry at Samsung about their original Galaxy S i9000 (RAM issue)Nuff said.[/citation]

Explain this "RAM issue" if you can... I have never heard of anything to this extent. I do not see it use ram any different than my nexus or my other couple of HTC phones. :sarcastic:

G

@shompa

the iPad was 85% battery...... it uses almost identical hardware as an iPhone but in a much larger package, the majority of which was dedicated to batteries

saying that im all for long battery life

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I'm already miffed with my 1Ghz single core playing Angry Birds for half an hour. Are they gonna bundle it with an Energizer Etg Xp18000 charger?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
So does that mean that now you'll be able to answer/make calls? I know that with the current 1GHz generation (such as the EVO) sometimes the phone is busy doing something else to worry about the user trying to answer/make a call...maybe at 2GHz it will actually have enough HP to service user requests.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
they really need to concentrate on battery life before they start focusing on 2ghz speeds, which will probably drain the battery even faster. As it is now, my Android phone needs to be charged every single day, and I'm a very light user.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
For all's information, to get an effective 2GHZ processor in a phone, you will in an internal heat distribution unit (probably in the form of a graphite layer, or a graphite processor itself instead of silicon) This could be a reality in the near future.

However, you'll need a pretty big battery.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]shompa[/nom]Elegant software solutions like Ios multitasking.[/citation]
Multitasking? More like fast app-switching. Apps in the background are paused, its not true multitasking.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
i said it earlier too that we one day wont even look at desktops or laptops netbooks etc everything will be packed inside the our beloved mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.