[SOLVED] Samsung A7 lite battery-life really 24 hrs?

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Although I bought
Fire HD 8 tablet, 8" HD display, 32 GB, latest model (2020 release), designed for portable entertainment, Black
Manufacturer: Amazon, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
CDN$ 79.99
Condition: New
it's still not set to be delivered so there's still time to cancel. There was a Samsung store at the mall and I stopped by in case they got something better bang-for-the-buck, especially for the battery-life. The seller let me know that the A7 lite was on sale at considerably more, 170 CAD, but with an almost matching battery-life of 24 hrs, 2.125X for the former and 2X for the latter; he let me know the sale ends tomorrow. I'm now wondering if the claim that the battery-life is 24 hrs is true. I remember some time back there was a consumer report show about advertised car mileage, which were all, or almost all, exaggerated; the manufacturers mentioned the fine-print includes the condition for that gas-mileage and it's about impossible to get by daily driving.

I'm thinking my tablet usage will be split between
  • e-Reading and
  • email use, web browsing & video streaming
; for the former I intend on setting the brightness set to only what's needed to easily distinguish letters, so pretty low, and for the latter I'll try finding darker places to sit so I can have the brightness lower, and as I'm writing this I had my monitor set to 10/100 brightness for months.

Is the Samsung A7 lite battery-life really 24 hrs?

Thank you kindly

Update 1

I saw that the Samsung A7 lite capacity is 5100 mAh, but I couldn't find the Amazon Fire HD 8 equivalent, in order to compare; can anyone let me know?

Last edited:
Solution
However long the battery lasts depends on how you're using the device.

If you're doing light tasks like using it as an e-reader or watching video with hardware acceleration enabled, then chances are you'll probably get within a few hours. Though that also depends on how bright you keep the screen. Displays can be a battery hog.

kanewolf

Titan
Although I bought

it's still not set to be delivered so there's still time to cancel. There was a Samsung store at the mall and I stopped by in case they got something better bang-for-the-buck, especially for the battery-life. The seller let me know that the A7 lite was on sale at considerably more, 170 CAD, but with an almost matching battery-life of 24 hrs, 2.125X for the former and 2X for the latter; he let me know the sale ends tomorrow. I'm now wondering if the claim that the battery-life is 24 hrs is true. I remember some time back there was a consumer report show about advertised car mileage, which were all, or almost all, exaggerated; the manufacturers mentioned the fine-print includes the condition for that gas-mileage and it's about impossible to get by daily driving.

I'm thinking my tablet usage will be split between
  • e-Reading and
  • email use, web browsing & video streaming
; for the former I intend on setting the brightness set to only what's needed to easily distinguish letters, so pretty low, and for the latter I'll try finding darker places to sit so I can have the brightness lower, and as I'm writing this I had my monitor set to 10/100 brightness for months.

Is the Samsung A7 lite battery-life really 24 hrs?

Thank you kindly

Update 1

I saw that the Samsung A7 lite capacity is 5100 mAh, but I couldn't find the Amazon Fire HD 8 equivalent, in order to compare; can anyone let me know?
I have an A7 tablet that is about a year old. The current battery status says I have used 1.5 hours of screen time and have 89% battery remaining. I don't stream video much, but I get 2 or 3 days between charges.

I would not buy a Fire tablet again. The lack of support for the google play store (and therefore lack of supported apps) makes the Amazon devices non-starters to me.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I get 2 or 3 days between charges.
~ how many hrs of use would that be?

The lack of support for the google play store (and therefore lack of supported apps) makes the Amazon devices non-starters to me.
I asked a question on that subject to the Samsung seller and he told me multiple of the apps for their tablet were limited/restrained/restricted, and that going around that could cause issues when updating. Also I wondered that about Amazon tablets and I was given a solution here.

kanewolf

Titan
~ how many hrs of use would that be?

I asked a question on that subject to the Samsung seller and he told me multiple of the apps for their tablet were limited/restrained/restricted, and that going around that could cause issues when updating. Also I wondered that about Amazon tablets and I was given a solution here.
Probably 3 to 4 hours per day.
I have no desire to "work around" Amazon in an unsupported configuration.
I have not had any issues with Samsung tablets. I have purchased three. One was retired because the Android version was old and some commercial apps stopped being updated.

However long the battery lasts depends on how you're using the device.

If you're doing light tasks like using it as an e-reader or watching video with hardware acceleration enabled, then chances are you'll probably get within a few hours. Though that also depends on how bright you keep the screen. Displays can be a battery hog.

Reactions: helper800
Solution