Samsung, Amazon To Support Improved HDR10+ Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about bringing this tech to monitors also, not just television. I have seen 10-bit monitors, but have yet to see HDR monitors for sale anywhere.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I feel sorry for anybody that keeps up with TV and monitor technology, they bring out so much new stuff all the time. I've got a 32" 720p TV that still looks great and two ancient flatscreen monitors that run on DVI. They don't look any different from the new ones, and 1920x1200 doesn't look any worse now than it did years ago.

Honestly, I feel like they keep changing the standard so much it would be a bad idea to buy a TV in the next 2 years before things are nailed down.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
LG is bringing HDR10 to it's UD99 which should be shipping soon. Only problem is the available bandwidth. You won't be able to run HDR and 4k60hz with displayPort 1.3. You will need either HDMI 2.0 or displayPort 1.4.

This page has taught me that conventional monitors are bought by people who don't know how brightness nor contrast works on their TV.

I mean seriously it looks like some one put a door screen in front of the left side of the monitor

alextheblue

Distinguished

There's a middle ground between keeping up with the latest, and using outdated technology. $300-400 would get you a 4K TV *FAR* superior to your ancient 720p TV. That is hardly "keeping up" with TVs, since there are higher-end TVs with HDR10 (soon 10+), 120+ refresh rates, better panel technologies, upgraded backlighting, etc. But you don't really have to worry about newer standards if you're buying a sub-$400 TV. For a monitor a decent modern IPS panel would blow away your older displays. There's a lot of factors but for even a fairly basic Vizio 4K set would be worlds better than that old 720p panel. Combine that with an XB1 S or other true UHD BD player and if you don't see the difference... the problem is with your eyes.

I'm not kidding or being sarcastic, maybe you have cataracts or other vision problems. When people say there's a difference between 720p, 1080p, and 4K... they're not making it up. Again, there's a lot of factors but all else remaining roughly equal: a much higher resolution and newer colorspaces combined with true UHD source material = better visuals. This isn't some giant conspiracy where everyone is lying to you, trying to trick you into buying a new TV. I don't care if you buy a new TV or go back to a 480i CRT. But don't lecture people about how you feel sorry for them for owning superior displays that genuinely look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.